What if... an asteroid were about to hit the earth?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The year is 2100, and in 2 weeks, an asteroid is going to hit the earth, destroying it entirely. You have been selected to try and come up with a plan as to how to survive this disaster, and figure out how to get yourself (and others) to safety. How you do it is up to you, but the more people you save, the better.

Think simple or think big, but most importantly, tell us how you'd survive in this scenario. Maybe you'd steal a spaceship, or find a way to stop the asteroid, the more creative the better! You have until next week to tell us what you'd do, and then we'll look over your submissions, and choose the one we think is best

Throughout the process, the Support Team will be reading through your ideas, and asking you questions about them, or pointing out issues they might have... so feel free to improve them based upon this!

Your time starts now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    The year is 2100, and in 2 weeks, an asteroid is going to hit the earth, destroying it entirely. You have been selected to try and come up with a plan as to how to survive this disaster, and figure out how to get yourself (and others) to safety. How you do it is up to you, but the more people you save, the better.

Think simple or think big, but most importantly, tell us how you'd survive in this scenario. Maybe you'd steal a spaceship, or find a way to stop the asteroid, the more creative the better! You have until next week to tell us what you'd do, and then we'll look over your submissions, and choose the one we think is best

Throughout the process, the Support Team will be reading through your ideas, and asking you questions about them, or pointing out issues they might have... so feel free to improve them based upon this!

Your time starts now
    I just have this image in my mind:

But I wouldn't actually be sure what I would do You?

ReputationRep:
    I'd let it hit us. It'd be nice for a change

I joke, however, I'd probably do my best to use some form of explosives to redirect it away from impact.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be calling these guys to help me magic the asteroid away:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    get all of the world's nukes aboard the Space Station & detonate those mofos simultaneously.

the Asteroid would be destroyed/deflected... a new age of Harmony and Cooperation would dawn without any nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    In the old days, the Year of Many Terrors was always going to be 1999 (or 2001). Now it's 2100. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Start my own underground city.

ReputationRep:
    One week? Fly out rockets to the asteroid. Attach them. Change the course of the asteroid by a degree or two. Shrug as it misses by a very long way.

ReputationRep:
    no test tomorrow yayy!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The real question is: how many anti-Islam threads would we be able to make in that time?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point trying? I mean you said its going to destroy it entirely....Either way i would dig myself a really deep pit and bury my self where i belong...in the ground

ReputationRep:
    Yall i just spent 8 hours in the living room with my housemates binge watching the whole first season of stranger things

im done with plans :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The film Deep Impact already has the answer to this, nuke them and get to high ground on a dirt bike to avoid the tidal wave. South East UK is screwed though...

ReputationRep:
    Okay; now time for some futurism and maths!

So technological advancement is exponential - the speed at which technology is advancing is getting faster. We can see that looking back through technology in history - it took us thousands of years to go from fire to tools, but only about 200 years to go from steam trains to the Internet. To someone from (say) 1800, our technology today would look like magic (a little rectangular thing everyone carries around which shows them where they are in the world - what sorcery is this?!).

Humans, however, are absolutely terrible at thinking in exponents. Take a step at one metre, and then double how far you go each time (e.g. two metres, four metres etc.). How far would you go after 30 of these steps? Would you have predicted over one billion metres away? Remember: you're doubling the distance you travel each time. This TED-Ed video presents this concept with the idea of folding a piece of paper to reach the moon.

This exponential growth works in technology too. Three-hundred years ago, the life calling of most people here would be agriculture. Working in science or technology would be off-limits - the harvest isn't going to bring itself in - so the developments were not made. As technology improved, we got things like tractors and combine harvesters, and now fewer people work in agriculture. The industrial revolution marked a rapid change in the industries in which people were employed, and along with it technology advanced exponentially. The futurist Ray Kurzweil calls this the 'Law of Accelerating Returns'. Kurzweil states in this essay that he believes that, at the current rate of development, there will be approximately 20,000 years of technological development in the 21st Century.

Now back to our hypothetical scenario. It's the year 2100, and we've made that development. We're living on Mars and Venus (the upper atmosphere of Venus is not as hostile as the surface, so it's very feasible that we could have a floating city), and probably some other planets/moons/objects, too. Wormholes are now possibly a thing, as is teleportation on a macro scale (side note: we've teleported small particles, already). Along with that, there are millions of other things which we can't even begin to imagine. So how do we deflect an asteroid?

The cop-out answer here would be simply to say "using one of the new technologies", but let's think about what that might entail. It's a hypothetical scenario, so we're allowed to be hypothetical with the answer!

Firstly, let's be clear on what we're working with. We've got two weeks (assuming weeks in the regular sense, rather than being difficult and doing the whole 'a week relative to the centre of the galaxy' thing). We've got an asteroid capable of destroying the Earth in its entirety. Okay - now we need to work out how much kinetic energy that asteroid has, and therefore how much energy we're going to need to deflect it. As anyone who's taken GCSE Physics knows:

E_k = \frac{1}{2} mv^2

Mass (m) is measured in kilograms, and velocity (v) in metres per second. Of course, we've not got any information on the mass or velocity of the asteroid, so let's just make up some numbers.

We'll assume a diameter of 50km, and a perfect sphere. That's a VERY big asteroid! I asked God's Own Official Guide to the Location of Everything (Google), and found out that a typical density of an asteroid is about 2g/cm^3, or 2,000,000,000,000kg/km^3.

The volume of a sphere is shown by:

V = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3

Our radius is 25km, so:

V = \frac{4}{3} \pi 25^3

V = 65449.85 km^3

Density is found as follows:

D = \frac{m}{v}

m = Dv

m = 2,000,000,000,000 \times 65449.85

m = 130,899,700,000,000,000 kg

That's quite a heavy asteroid - a big object coming towards us - but how fast would it be doing so? I asked Google again, and got an answer of approximately 7800 m/s. Now back to our energy equation:

E_k = \frac{1}{2} mv^2

E_k = \frac{1}{2} 130,899,700,000,000,000 \times 7800^2

E_k = 3,981,968,900,000,000,000,760,36  0 J

E_k = 3.98 YJ

3.98 yottajoules is an awful lot of energy - the world's annual energy consumption is about 389 exajoules (EJ) - but for civilisation in 2100, it would probably be feasibly reached. Furthermore, we don't need to stop the asteroid, only deflect it, so the energy requirement would be much lower. We have two weeks to move the asteroid by the equivalent of the Earth's radius - 6378km - which means changing its velocity by about 1.82 m/s^2 to avoid an impact with Earth - let's call it two metres per second to give ourselves some room for comfort.

We want to change velocity by two metres per second, which means we want to accelerate the asteroid by two metres per second. Newton's Second Law of Motion tells us that (where F=Force, m=mass, and a=acceleration):

F = ma

The object has a mass of 130,899,700,000,000,000 kg , so:

F = 130,899,700,000,000,000 \times 2

F = 261,799,400,000,000,000 N

We will therefore need a force of 261,799,400,000,000,000 Newtons to be applied to the asteroid in order to move it off its collision course with Earth. Now we know that, we can start to think about potential ways to apply this force. It's 2100, and we have pretty much an unlimited budget, so let's get creative.

The first option is to push it. There's no air in space (obviously), but Newton's Third Law is a thing. We could fly out small rockets (or super-modern equivalent) to the asteroid, and mount them onto its side. Start them burning, and have them produce the combined force necessary to avert disaster.

Rockets, however, are quite a conventional method of moving the asteroid. We can be creative!

Wormholes (probably) exist, and we can (probably) make them where we like. Why not create one between the asteroid and us, thereby moving the asteroid to another point in space. Alternatively, why not try some way of teleporting the asteroid?

There are a plethora of ways, and given the technology which we will most likely have in 2100, we will probably be fine!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If anyone with more experience with Maths/Physics/Engineering etc. would like to correct anything, please do so; I've only got Google and GCSE knowledge, so I'm very much inexperienced, here!

ReputationRep:
    Well, why not send rocket's (with set instructions) full of nuclear bombs at the asteroid...so it blows up into small pieces and gently disintegrates away via the Earths Atmosphere?

ReputationRep:
    We'll all be as dead as the Labour party.

ReputationRep:
    Only one man can save us

ReputationRep:
    He would build a big, beautiful wall and keep that meteorite away

ReputationRep:
    Well it is 2100 so I would use the new fusion missiles...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    Well it is 2100 so I would use the new fusion missiles...
    Loving the username and avatar! #SlytherinPride

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.