The Student Room Group

Biology, chemistry and history for medicine?

Hi yall,
I just started AS and im already thinking about what to drop at the end of the year (which is pretty early on but im a big worrier lol)
I'm taking bio, chem, maths and history. Lots of people say that I should drop history because it's an arts subject and I'm fully aware that it could reduce the amount of med schools I could apply to, because some ask for maths. However, I really, really enjoy history and I feel like it would give an interesting variation which is beyond the standard med a levels. I do also really enjoy maths (also got an a* lol) but I feel like my history teachers would love me to carry on history because I was the only one who got an a* in it.
What schools would accept, even prefer an arts subject coupled with 2 sciences? (I know UCL is one, apparently) Which ones prefer maths?
Or should I just stop worrying and wait until I progress through the year and see which one I'm better at?
Original post by ellentheweeb
Hi yall,
I just started AS and im already thinking about what to drop at the end of the year (which is pretty early on but im a big worrier lol)
I'm taking bio, chem, maths and history. Lots of people say that I should drop history because it's an arts subject and I'm fully aware that it could reduce the amount of med schools I could apply to, because some ask for maths. However, I really, really enjoy history and I feel like it would give an interesting variation which is beyond the standard med a levels. I do also really enjoy maths (also got an a* lol) but I feel like my history teachers would love me to carry on history because I was the only one who got an a* in it.
What schools would accept, even prefer an arts subject coupled with 2 sciences? (I know UCL is one, apparently) Which ones prefer maths?
Or should I just stop worrying and wait until I progress through the year and see which one I'm better at?

The only Medical School that you'll probably need to avoid is Cambridge. It should be fine for the others, and UCL is the only one that will give a small preference. If you want to do History, do History. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest