Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm meant to be going back to college tomorrow and I am dreading it so much! When I got my AS results I got a C in german and an E in geography (my other two subjects are linear (2 year) courses: business and economics).

When I went to enrollment the day after I panicked and suggested maybe I should start college again; doing a BTEC or something? My senior tutor suggested that I go away and think about my options and come back in two weeks to enroll.

I went to this second enrollment and was advised to continue on with business and economics and also either retake geography or continue with german. I left the room feeling happy that I had made the right decision (to retake geography bc I hated german ).

Today I went online to check my timetable and Geography wasn't on there and it got me thinking (more on this later). The reason I was checking my timetable was because I enrolled on my management course with work yesterday (I work at McDonalds) so there's 12 weeks worth of sessions that I have to attend in order to qualify. Turns out that as it stands with my (incomplete) timetable I would be missing 15 lessons in total in order to attend my management course.

College for me is something which I don't particularly enjoy, I go because I have to. I obviously have friends there and I'm predicted decent grades but I just remember how much I hated being there last year and how good my summer has been, working full time.

As I'm doing fairly business oriented subjects; I'm fairly certain that my teachers/lecturers would be fairly okay with me missing the odd lesson to go on a management course but I feel as if missing at least 1 lesson a week (and some weeks where I'll have to miss like 3 days) will be a little too much.

So at this stage, I kind of have to decide which I want to do. In my heart I want to work full time and make the best of this course but my head tells me that's a really bad idea and that I need to stay at college in order to get A levels just in case one day I want to go to university and because I "have the ability to" or if one day I want to get a better job? All I've ever wanted to do is work in hospitality and that's what I'm doing now, and I have the opportunity to progress in what I love so why not take it right? I think the main thing is the stigma. I'm scared to be the guy who did alright in school but then dropped out of college to work at McDonalds.

At the end of the day, though, I'm being offered an opportunity that I think will be really good for me and I don't want to have to stop doing my course because I have to go somewhere I don't want to go? There are real progression opportunities where I work and I'll be earning enough to be able to support myself once I'm promoted. I just don't want to regret making this decision now a few years down the line.

What the hell should I do guys!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actualdaniel)
    So I'm meant to be going back to college tomorrow and I am dreading it so much! When I got my AS results I got a C in german and an E in geography (my other two subjects are linear (2 year) courses: business and economics). When I went to enrollment the day after I panicked and suggested maybe I should start college again; doing a BTEC or something? My senior tutor suggested that I go away and think about my options and come back in two weeks to enroll.I went to this second enrollment and was advised to continue on with business and economics and also either retake geography or continue with german. I left the room feeling happy that I had made the right decision (to retake geography bc I hated german ).Today I went online to check my timetable and Geography wasn't on there and it got me thinking (more on this later). The reason I was checking my timetable was because I enrolled on my management course with work yesterday (I work at McDonalds) so there's 12 weeks worth of sessions that I have to attend in order to qualify. Turns out that as it stands with my (incomplete) timetable I would be missing 15 lessons in total in order to attend my management course. College for me is something which I don't particularly enjoy, I go because I have to. I obviously have friends there and I'm predicted decent grades but I just remember how much I hated being there last year and how good my summer has been, working full time.As I'm doing fairly business oriented subjects; I'm fairly certain that my teachers/lecturers would be fairly okay with me missing the odd lesson to go on a management course but I feel as if missing at least 1 lesson a week (and some weeks where I'll have to miss like 3 days) will be a little too much. So at this stage, I kind of have to decide which I want to do. In my heart I want to work full time and make the best of this course but my head tells me that's a really bad idea and that I need to stay at college in order to get A levels just in case one day I want to go to university and because I "have the ability to" or if one day I want to get a better job? All I've ever wanted to do is work in hospitality and that's what I'm doing now, and I have the opportunity to progress in what I love so why not take it right? I think the main thing is the stigma. I'm scared to be the guy who did alright in school but then dropped out of college to work at McDonalds. At the end of the day, though, I'm being offered an opportunity that I think will be really good for me and I don't want to have to stop doing my course because I have to go somewhere I don't want to go? There are real progression opportunities where I work and I'll be earning enough to be able to support myself once I'm promoted. I just don't want to regret making this decision now a few years down the line.What the hell should I do guys!?
    If you want to work in Hospitality have you tried Catering? Instead of being behind the counter or that person who cleans up after everyone's mess after they've gone you could become a chef or someone else who works behind the scenes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollegeStudent99)
    If you want to work in Hospitality have you tried Catering? Instead of being behind the counter or that person who cleans up after everyone's mess after they've gone you could become a chef or someone else who works behind the scenes.
    I do a bit of both at work, much prefer the service side of things tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.