Student Finance Help - Can I afford university ? - Please help :(

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    I feel I cannot afford university due to my parents household income being to high. I will try to explain the figures below :

In : 3821(student [email protected] income of 70k), 2340(5.20 p/h * 15 hr a week *30 academic weeks on average), 520 from family (10 a week direct debit*52 weeks) = 6681

Out : According to http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/mone...ing-and-study/ - rent - £4,834 for rent, £1,956 for food, £316 for household goods, £42 for insurance, £2,074 for personal items, £1,524 for travel and £1,310 for leisure) = £12056 . I could probably cut this back to £11000 by heavily reducing personal items, food, leisure.

So, 6681 in, 11000 out (at the very least). That's a total of, -4381 a year if I'm lucky and very wise with budgeting?
    Could I lie to student finance and say I'm living with another family member who has a very low income (e.g. Nan) ?

So, can I afford university ?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as despite me just starting year 13 I don't see the point in carrying on for another year if university is not even an option ?
    Thank you in advance,
    Lee

*I would like to clarify, my parents will not contribute more than £10 a week despite their incomes due to "uni being a waste of money anyway". Also, I understand I can get a student credit card at 0% interest for overdrafts but that still would not cover uni. Most scholarships and bursaries are out of the question as household is above 43k. I've spoken to my Sixth Form, literally no advice given.

ReputationRep:
    It's based on your parents income, unless you're estranged or have been self supporting for 3 years.

Have you actually looked at how much your rent would be, rather than just looking at the figures given on the nus website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's based on your parents income, unless you're estranged or have been self supporting for 3 years.

Have you actually looked at how much your rent would be, rather than just looking at the figures given on the nus website?
    Hello,
    My parents income between them is £70,000 meaning i'm eligible for £3821 maintenance loan a year
    The cheapest university of Hertfordshire accommodation is £5053.
    Thank you for your advice of looking at indivual uni's accomodation.
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    Those NUS figures are a overblown in my opinion. For starters, my combined food and groceries for a year come to around the £1000 mark (that's food + household goods + personal items).

Spending £1500+ on travelling would be rare unless you're commuting any distance to uni. Look at coach bus fares to/from your home, three return journeys per year. Then look up bus fares around your prospective halls and uni - you might even be within easy walking distance. Most people will spend far less than the NUS figure.

Leisure is something you spend money on if you have any spare. If you don't have much money, then you limit your alcohol intake and clubbing activities. That's a no-brainer. It's a luxury spend rather than a necessity.

Life can be a good deal rosier than the NUS are painting. If you learn how to budget and get yourself a part-time job, you should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hello,
    My parents income between them is £70,000 meaning i'm eligible for £3821 maintenance loan a year
    The cheapest university of Hertfordshire accommodation is £5053.
    Thank you for your advice of looking at indivual uni's accomodation.
    Lee
    I think you've calculated that by assuming a 52 week period, most uni's are about 39

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flux_Dubstep)
    I think you've calculated that by assuming a 52 week period, most uni's are about 39
    https://www.residences.herts.ac.uk/P...spx?wf=Preview

42 week period - £5053

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,
    I feel I cannot afford university due to my parents household income being to high. I will try to explain the figures below :

In : 3821(student [email protected] income of 70k), 2340(5.20 p/h * 15 hr a week *30 academic weeks on average), 520 from family (10 a week direct debit*52 weeks) = 6681

Out : According to http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/mone...ing-and-study/ - rent - £4,834 for rent, £1,956 for food, £316 for household goods, £42 for insurance, £2,074 for personal items, £1,524 for travel and £1,310 for leisure) = £12056 . I could probably cut this back to £11000 by heavily reducing personal items, food, leisure.

So, 6681 in, 11000 out (at the very least). That's a total of, -4381 a year if I'm lucky and very wise with budgeting?
    Could I lie to student finance and say I'm living with another family member who has a very low income (e.g. Nan) ?

So, can I afford university ?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as despite me just starting year 13 I don't see the point in carrying on for another year if university is not even an option ?
    Thank you in advance,
    Lee

*I would like to clarify, my parents will not contribute more than £10 a week despite their incomes due to "uni being a waste of money anyway". Also, I understand I can get a student credit card at 0% interest for overdrafts but that still would not cover uni. Most scholarships and bursaries are out of the question as household is above 43k. I've spoken to my Sixth Form, literally no advice given.
    Wow ok you may have totally over-estimated your costs here...

what is £2,074 for personal items? what are these personal items?
    usually insurance is built into student accomodation.
    £1500+ for travel and £1300+ for leisure, where the hell are these crazy figures coming from?

To put this into perspective last year I spend:
    £4800 on accomodation
    £2660 total on food and leisure (£40 food £40 leisure per week and I would maybe spend around £60 a week on both max including laundry so realistically it was £1980)
    Travel (I didnt need a bus pass etc. just good old walking, but my and my bf were long distance so i travelled there a lot) £780 (this included getting to and from uni to home)
    that cost me £8240 max or £7560 minimum. and can I say i spent quite a lot as a student, most people spent less than me!

I could get all of my personal items such as toiletries out of my weekly food budget, unless your gordon ramsey you will be fine. you have to remember your a student now, just budget based on your income and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Those NUS figures are a overblown in my opinion. For starters, my combined food and groceries for a year come to around the £1000 mark (that's food + household goods + personal items).

Spending £1500+ on travelling would be rare unless you're commuting any distance to uni. Look at coach bus fares to/from your home, three return journeys per year. Then look up bus fares around your prospective halls and uni - you might even be within easy walking distance. Most people will spend far less than the NUS figure.

Leisure is something you spend money on if you have any spare. If you don't have much money, then you limit your alcohol intake and clubbing activities. That's a no-brainer. It's a luxury spend rather than a necessity.

Life can be a good deal rosier than the NUS are painting. If you learn how to budget and get yourself a part-time job, you should be OK.
    I thought they were over inflated initially as well, that's why in my question I reduced my expected outgoings from 12k to 11k, possibility even less despite expensive Hertfordshire accommodation It's good to hear this from someone who is at uni right now that you can get by on less than nus suggest. What would you suggest is the maximum amount of hours I should work per week ?
    Thanks, Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Wow ok you may have totally over-estimated your costs here...

what is £2,074 for personal items? what are these personal items?
    usually insurance is built into student accomodation.
    £1500+ for travel and £1300+ for leisure, where the hell are these crazy figures coming from?

To put this into perspective last year I spend:
    £4800 on accomodation
    £2660 total on food and leisure (£40 food £40 leisure per week and I would maybe spend around £60 a week on both max including laundry so realistically it was £1980)
    Travel (I didnt need a bus pass etc. just good old walking, but my and my bf were long distance so i travelled there a lot) £780 (this included getting to and from uni to home)
    that cost me £8240 max or £7560 minimum. and can I say i spent quite a lot as a student, most people spent less than me!

I could get all of my personal items such as toiletries out of my weekly food budget, unless your gordon ramsey you will be fine. you have to remember your a student now, just budget based on your income and you will be fine.
    I do not know anyone at uni so was just going by that nus link, I did they they were over estimated, that's why I reduced it slightly.
    Even though 7560 is over 6681, I'm sure by maybe working in the summers or using the overdraft thing on student credit cards at 0% I'd be able to get by after reading this.
    Thank you,
    Lee
    Also, what would you suggest is the maximum amount of hours I could work a week without it affecting my studies ?

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were over inflated initially as well, that's why in my question I reduced my expected outgoings from 12k to 11k, possibility even less despite expensive Hertfordshire accommodation It's good to hear this from someone who is at uni right now that you can get by on less than nus suggest. What would you suggest is the maximum amount of hours I should work per week ?
    Thanks, Lee
    Just to clarify, I'm not currently at uni. However I did live on a very tight student budget when I was an undergrad and I've carried this on.

Difficult to say how many hours you should work. Depends on your course's contact/independent study hours, what sort of job you can get and what the hourly rate is. I currently do 11 hours a week over two shifts at a supermarket (on top of full-time short contracts as a uni Research Assistant) and the supermarket job gives me roughly £350 a month. That's easily your food and groceries covered with some left over.

ReputationRep:
    I do not know anyone at uni so was just going by that nus link, I did they they were over estimated, that's why I reduced it slightly.
    Even though 7560 is over 6681, I'm sure by maybe working in the summers or using the overdraft thing on student credit cards at 0% I'd be able to get by after reading this.
    Thank you,
    Lee
    Also, what would you suggest is the maximum amount of hours I could work a week without it affecting my studies ?
    I found a lot of those websites over exaggerate the costs.
    Another good idea is a weekend and summer job from now till then to save up money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Just to clarify, I'm not currently at uni. However I did live on a very tight student budget when I was an undergrad and I've carried this on.

Difficult to say how many hours you should work. Depends on your course's contact/independent study hours, what sort of job you can get and what the hourly rate is. I currently do 11 hours a week over two shifts at a supermarket (on top of full-time short contracts as a uni Research Assistant) and the supermarket job gives me roughly £350 a month. That's easily your food and groceries covered with some left over.

Perfect, around 11 hours it is !
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Wow those figures are ridiculous. I spent in total £6,000 including accommodation and even had money to save as well.

ReputationRep:
    If your parents earn 70,000 why are they being so cheap with you going to uni? Genuinely curious why would they not want you to go to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    If your parents earn 70,000 why are they being so cheap with you going to uni? Genuinely curious why would they not want you to go to uni
    "Uni is waste of money" because they've earned a decent salary without going uni, they see no reason why I cant do the same.
    I know, it can be challenging to deal with at times lol.

*Dad self-employed entrepreneur, Mum works at the council. Both without any formal qualifications, they both think even Sixth Form is a waste of time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soanonymous)
    Wow those figures are ridiculous. I spent in total £6,000 including accommodation and even had money to save as well.
    I don't know anyone who has been to uni, so only had these figures to go off. However, thanks for your reply now I know that I may be able to afford it and not use nus for anything lol
    Thanks again,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    "Uni is waste of money" because they've earned a decent salary without going uni, they see no reason why I cant do the same.
    I know, it can be challenging to deal with at times lol.

*Dad self-employed entrepreneur, Mum works at the council. Both without any formal qualifications, they both think even Sixth Form is a waste of time...
    ah man that's a shame, I wish you luck, maybe you could contact SLC with your circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    ah man that's a shame, I wish you luck, maybe you could contact SLC with your circumstances
    Won't make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you,
    Lee
    Like I said I spent a lot during year 1, im a med student so I was buying books and I spent an absolute fortune on travelling halfway up the country every 3 weeks to see my boyfriend, most people got by on between £5000 and £6000 for the year including accomodation, but at my uni accomodation is quite cheap.

it depends on your subject really, for med I wouldnt reccomend having a job unless you have to, I would say 12-16 hours a week is good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I started a Legal Methods course at Birkbeck University this course is a certificate to Higher education I began the course in 2015 I had student funding for this course it is a one year course I then dropped out I have taken a student loan again this year for the course beginning in October 2016 as this is not a degree course I am just wondering How many years of funding I will have when I go onto my degree shall it be three years or what is the situation?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Spring onions - Yay or nay?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.