Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school won't allow us to study more than 3 a levels, and I was originally planning to study 4 (maths, chemistry, physics and biology). I really want to go to Imperial and study Chemical Engineering, but I feel as though I won't be accepted if I only did 3 a levels.

For those who go to imperial, please could you tell me if I still have a chance?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by CookieMonster456)
    My school won't allow us to study more than 3 a levels, and I was originally planning to study 4 (maths, chemistry, physics and biology). I really want to go to Imperial and study Chemical Engineering, but I feel as though I won't be accepted if I only did 3 a levels.

For those who go to imperial, please could you tell me if I still have a chance?
    You definitely will be considered. It's an extremely competitive course though and the majority of their offers are based on four A Levels so it's possible that only having three A Levels might hurt your chances a bit. If you feel like you're of the academic calibre that they're looking for though, it's definitely worth applying.

ReputationRep:
    I probably won't be much use, I'm not a student at Imperial, nor am I a student at a university (yet... fingers crossed/touch wood!)

BUT The website says:

All applications that meet the minimum grade requirement of A*A*A will be considered.Actual offers may vary and the majority of offers are A*A*AA, to include:A* in MathematicsA* or A in ChemistryRemaining A-levels in relevant subjects including Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics, and EconomicsWe also consider GCSE achievements, or their equivalent.

Contact the admissions tutor if you are worried that your application would be disadvantaged, however it does say that they will consider it. Also you can ask the person writing your reference to include that the school will not allow you to sit more than 3 a levels. The admission tutors have to be honest with you, they can't lie!

Good Luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieMonster456)

The people who apply with 4 A Levels typically have FM. Ask if you can do further maths; it won't be too much of an increase in workload due to the obvious overlap with reguar maths and physics. If this fails, email the admissions tutors and ask if they'll still consider you in parallel with applicants with 4 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Chemistry (with spanish) this year with just three A levels: maths, chemistry and spanish. Can't speak for your specific course but it is definitely possible! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I got into Computing at Imperial with 3 A Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics). The admissions tutors at my interview explicitly said they're not allowed to treat people doing 3 A Levels any differently, literally because of the situation you're in – some colleges don't let you do more than three.

You'll have the same chance as anyone doing four, definitely apply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.