Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  496.1 KBMy teacher said that this compoun is called 3-methlylbutan-2-ol but shouldn't it be called 2-methybutan2-ol because if you go the other way its 2.
    Attachment 578500578502578600
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher is right. 3-methylbutan-2-ol (or 3-methyl-2-butanol). Each carbon must have a unique number.

Your way would be 2-methylbutan-3-ol. The alcohol group takes precedence over alkyl groups.

Checked with ChemDoodle:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, you count from one end or the other. It could be called 2-methylbutan-3-ol or 3-methylbutan-2-ol, but not 2-methylbutan-2-ol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by alow)
    The alcohol group takes precedence over alkyl groups
    Why is this? I dont honestly know and this will come in handy for exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    No, you count from one end or the other. It could be called 2-methylbutan-3-ol or 3-methylbutan-2-ol, but not 2-methylbutan-2-ol
    No it can't. 3-methylbutan-2-ol is the correct answer.

Why is this? I dont honestly know and this will come in handy for exams
    Because IUPAC says so.

More here: http://www.masterorganicchemistry.co...-nomenclature/

ReputationRep:
    No, 2-methylbutan-2-ol would imply that the methyl group and the alcohol group are on the same carbon and unless my eyes are lying to me (which may well be the case with these oversized wrong way round images) this is not the case.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by alow)
    No it can't. 3-methylbutan-2-ol is the correct answer.

Because IUPAC says so.
    Why do they say so? Surely there is some sort of criteria for this sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    Why do they say so? Surely there is some sort of criteria for this sort of thing?
    Because everyone agreed to use their rules on naming compounds.

I edited my last post to include a link. It's loosely based around the oxidation state, where more oxidised groups tend to be higher priority but that's tenuous at best. You'll have to either look it up or memorise the chart if you want to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by alow)
    Because everyone agreed to use their rules on naming compounds.

I edited my last post to include a link. It's loosely based around the oxidation state, where more oxidised groups tend to be higher priority but that's tenuous at best. You'll have to either look it up or memorise the chart if you want to.
    Cool, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ann_Onymous)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  496.1 KBMy teacher said that this compoun is called 3-methlylbutan-2-ol but shouldn't it be called 2-methybutan2-ol because if you go the other way its 2.
    Attachment 578500578502578600

Your teacher is correct. According to the IUPAC rules, the numbering starts from the position which is nearest to the functional group(in this case the O-H group) is present so it cannot be 2-methylbutan-2-ol because this indicates that both the methyl group and the O-H group are on the same carbon and that is not possible according to the picture that is given. It is 3-methylbutan-2-ol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabahshahed294)
    Your teacher is correct. According to the IUPAC rules, the numbering starts from the position which is nearest to the functional group(in this case the O-H group) is present so it cannot be 2-methylbutan-2-ol because this indicates that both the methyl group and the O-H group are on the same carbon and that is not possible according to the picture that is given. It is 3-methylbutan-2-ol.
    Oh I didn't know about that rule thats why. Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.