Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so as embarrassing as this sounds I'm stuck on Example 1 from the Numerical Methods chapter of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook...

Name:  C3. CH4. Exa1 - Numerical (Graphical) Method.png
Views: 157
Size:  12.6 KB

How am I meant to draw the cubic graph if I can't even get it to factorise in order to work out the points where it intercepts the x-axis??

I find that the book hasn't really described this topic very well. Am I missing something?

Also I think I will be posting other problems that I get stuck on in this chapter to this same thread instead of spamming TSR with new threads like I usually do :P
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Ok so as embarrassing as this sounds I'm stuck on Example 1 from the Numerical Methods chapter of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook...

Name:  C3. CH4. Exa1 - Numerical (Graphical) Method.png
Views: 157
Size:  12.6 KB

How am I meant to draw the cubic graph if I can't even get it to factorise in order to work out the points where it intercepts the x-axis??

I find that the book hasn't really described this topic very well. Am I missing something?

Also I think I will be posting other problems that I get stuck on in this chapter to this same thread instead of spamming TSR with new threads like I usually do :P
    Not embarrassing at all, I think this is one of the few places where the Edexcel textbook fails.

I don't think you're expected to draw that - it most likely sufficies to find f(2) and f(3) and show that there
    s a change of sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Not embarrassing at all, I think this is one of the few places where the Edexcel textbook fails.

I don't think you're expected to draw that - it most likely sufficies to find f(2) and f(3) and show that there
    s a change of sign.
    Oh right I see. I was wondering that. I've actually wasted like the last hour thinking whether I'm just being stupid and can't work it out

ReputationRep:
    Oh right I see. I was wondering that. I've actually wasted like the last hour thinking whether I'm just being stupid and can't work it out
    Do you understand why showing the signs of f(2) and f(3) are different is enough to show that the function crosses the x-axis somewhere between there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Do you understand why showing the signs of f(2) and f(3) are different is enough to show that the function crosses the x-axis somewhere between there?
    Yes I think so. It's because it shows that f(2) and f(3) are leaning close to y=0 as f(2) is slightly less than y=0 and that f(3) is slightly more than y=0.

Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think so. It's because it shows that f(2) and f(3) are leaning close to y=0 as f(2) is slightly less than y=0 and that f(3) is slightly more than y=0.

Am I right?
    Yeah, the signs being different means that the curve is under the x-axis at f(2) (say f(2) is negative) and above the x-axis at f(3), so it must have crossed the x-axis somewhere in between there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the signs being different means that the curve is under the x-axis at f(2) (say f(2) is negative) and above the x-axis at f(3), so it must have crossed the x-axis somewhere in between there.
    Yeah that's it! Brilliant explanation again Zacken!! Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is iteration a very "trial and error" based method? It seems very monotonous to me. :/

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is iteration a very "trial and error" based method? It seems very monotonous to me. :/
    It's more for guessing an answer before proving it (to help you move in the right direction) or practical uses in the real world
    Spoiler:
    Show
    which is only a shadow of the far more superior mathematical world
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Trial and error is much more random. Iteration always leads you straight to a very good approximation of the answer if you iterate enough times depending on your starting point.

Interval bisection method to find a more accurate interval of something, such as a root to an equation, is much more trial and error based than iteration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Trial and error is much more random. Iteration always leads you straight to a very good approximation of the answer if you iterate enough times depending on your starting point.

Interval bisection method to find a more accurate interval of something, such as a root to an equation, is much more trial and error based than iteration.
    Yeah that's true. It's almost like constructive guessing where you get closer and closer to the real answer.

ReputationRep:
    Strictly speaking that only works if the function is continuous, which it is in this case as all polynomials are continuous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.