Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

First post on here and was inspired to get advice since i've seen alot of these posts in other Uni threads.

Basically I had a retake today that I have almost certainly failed. I've just finished 2nd year and the resit I had was a first year module that i've already had 3 shots at (First resit, then Proceed to 2nd Year with Resit, then Mitigating Circumstances). I know it sounds crazy but I just really struggle with grasping this module. (I'm doing Engineering).

I spoke with a senior member of staff who said if I have failed this time, it is the end of the road. Understandably, since 40% shouldn't be that difficult. Yet the cruel cruel irony being that I actually passed all my second year exams (That actually count towards the degree) and am sitting on a mid 2.2. I also only failed by 2% the last time I sat the exam.

Has anyone else ever had any experience of this? In other words heard of anybody being kicked out over a first year module but actually having passed all of second year? I know its in University Regulations that first year core modules must be passed but my weighted average for the year was way above 40%?! I'm at serious conflict with myself because 1st Year counts for nothing yet why couldn't I just pass this exam

It just tears me up that I could be saying goodbye to my University career because of a first year module.

Any advice or wise words much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenix7)
    Hi there,

First post on here and was inspired to get advice since i've seen alot of these posts in other Uni threads.

Basically I had a retake today that I have almost certainly failed. I've just finished 2nd year and the resit I had was a first year module that i've already had 3 shots at (First resit, then Proceed to 2nd Year with Resit, then Mitigating Circumstances). I know it sounds crazy but I just really struggle with grasping this module. (I'm doing Engineering).

I spoke with a senior member of staff who said if I have failed this time, it is the end of the road. Understandably, since 40% shouldn't be that difficult. Yet the cruel cruel irony being that I actually passed all my second year exams (That actually count towards the degree) and am sitting on a mid 2.2. I also only failed by 2% the last time I sat the exam.

Has anyone else ever had any experience of this? In other words heard of anybody being kicked out over a first year module but actually having passed all of second year? I know its in University Regulations that first year core modules must be passed but my weighted average for the year was way above 40%?! I'm at serious conflict with myself because 1st Year counts for nothing yet why couldn't I just pass this exam

It just tears me up that I could be saying goodbye to my University career because of a first year module.

Any advice or wise words much appreciated.
    To be honest you're lucky to have even made it into second year at all - at my undergrad uni you had to pass all first year modules before you could enter second year, you got one extra shot in August and if you failed it you either left or you had to retake the entire year (including ALL the other modules that you had passed!). You could ask them if they would let you retake just that module again and not enter third year yet but it sounds like you've had a lot of chances so they might just say no :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've had so many chances. I do really struggle with the module which made me realise that I might not be cut out for the course...But then I completed 2nd year, with not half as much work put in as I should have, with 55%!

Another thing that is really confusing me aswell:
    The original module breakdown when i took it in 1st year was made up of 4 parts. 3x10% exams and one 70%
    Now I actually did okay in the 10% exams. avg approx 50%
    I only needed 35% in the overall module to pass but when I resit, all 4 times, apparently my old 10% exams aren't valid and the 70% is now worth 100%... i.e needing 35% in the resit. I know it sounds crazy low and that i really should achieve it but this module is a genuine nightmare for me.

Have you heard anything like this before?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've had so many chances. I do really struggle with the module which made me realise that I might not be cut out for the course...But then I completed 2nd year, with not half as much work put in as I should have, with 55%!

The original module breakdown when i took it in 1st year was made up of 4 parts. 3x10% exams and one 70%
    I only needed 35% in the overall module to pass but when I resit, all 4 times, apparently my old 10% exams aren't valid and the 70% is now worth 100%... i.e needing 35% in the resit. I know it sounds crazy low and that i really should achieve it but this module is a genuine nightmare for me.

Personally I haven't - like I said my old uni had a different policy and most unis I know of/have friends at had similar policies. I actually think it's pretty poor for your uni to allow you into second year having not passed this module, as they have now had another year of fees off you knowing full well you may not actually complete the degree. I think you need to seek advice maybe from a student support service or something because while I'm not quite sure why your uni has this stupid policy in the first place, and I'm also not sure why you haven't passed the module after so many attempts, it does seem horrid to kick you out now after taking your money for second year. I have heard of some people having to take a whole year out of uni just to do one module, as in they didn't attend any lectures or anything else they just did one single module and then went into the final year, but I'm not sure if that could be an option to you when you've already completed second year. It would be like you've done first year, second year, then another bit of first year, then third year which seems stupid.

Do you have a student handbook or retake policy that you can consult?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Personally I haven't - like I said my old uni had a different policy and most unis I know of/have friends at had similar policies. I actually think it's pretty poor for your uni to allow you into second year having not passed this module, as they have now had another year of fees off you knowing full well you may not actually complete the degree. I think you need to seek advice maybe from a student support service or something because while I'm not quite sure why your uni has this stupid policy in the first place, and I'm also not sure why you haven't passed the module after so many attempts, it does seem horrid to kick you out now after taking your money for second year. I have heard of some people having to take a whole year out of uni just to do one module, as in they didn't attend any lectures or anything else they just did one single module and then went into the final year, but I'm not sure if that could be an option to you when you've already completed second year. It would be like you've done first year, second year, then another bit of first year, then third year which seems stupid.

Do you have a student handbook or retake policy that you can consult?
    Cheers for your reply.

I think alot of my argument towards the uni is exactly what you've stated. That they let me proceed to 2nd year even though I had failed twice. Do you think it might be best to act upon the student support before my results or after? (Results issued next Friday).

I just feel so grieved that the module doesn't count towards my degree. I wish they could brush it under the carpet but like the Senior Tutor said, its all regulations.

Yes, it would seem crazy that some people can be made to do that! Ultimately the University want your money and a low drop out rate so to them it seems logical i guess.

Regarding the handbook, it suggests solely that if you fail the retake without mitigating circumstances (Which I did for the first resit) the course will be terminated. Likewise in their retake policy, however it does say all decisions go to a Progression panel who ultimately make the final decisions.

I guess its all just a waiting game at the moment. I won't go down without a fight though... I might not be capable but at the end of the day i'm so close to finishing this degree!

ReputationRep:

That's annoying. Does it state anywhere in your course book that the exam would carry a 100% weight to the module mark or is this just a given?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tvm50)
    That's annoying. Does it state anywhere in your course book that the exam would carry a 100% weight to the module mark or is this just a given?
    checked the student handbook and says nothing of the sort! Think that it may give me grounds for an appeal

ReputationRep:
    checked the student handbook and says nothing of the sort! Think that it may give me grounds for an appeal
    I'm not to sure about an appeal they do really stress that is solely in mitigating circumstances but worth a shot.I did a resit for a module where I didn't do the coursework (I know stupid right) which was initially worth 20%. If that doesn't go towards my final module mark then the 40% should be easier to get, but in my case i think the previous coursework mark of 0 will go towards the module mark.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.