Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good evening all,

Right, now I don't want anyone to be completely freaked out by this but I know I need some help. Anybody know what it could be due to though?

For about 6 months now I have been vividly hallucinating whilst in my bed in the nights. Last night I went to bed at 10pm and didn't get to sleep until 1Am as I was hallucinating for about 1 hour about making 'doctors appointments for patients' (as I am a receptionist at a medical centre) and I actually had conversations with patients! Or so I thought until I finally pulled myself out of it and got some fresh air.

Now I'm not expecting anyone to know exactly what I've got but if someone has experianced this before please reply... I'm afraid of going to the doctors as I worry a lot.

I am 16 years old, nearly 17 and have had this for quite some time... This isn't the only time and have had it too many times now and want it to stop! I actually have a bruise on my arm from it last night!

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen a doctor about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Good evening all,

Right, now I don't want anyone to be completely freaked out by this but I know I need some help. Anybody know what it could be due to though?

For about 6 months now I have been vividly hallucinating whilst in my bed in the nights. Last night I went to bed at 10pm and didn't get to sleep until 1Am as I was hallucinating for about 1 hour about making 'doctors appointments for patients' (as I am a receptionist at a medical centre) and I actually had conversations with patients! Or so I thought until I finally pulled myself out of it and got some fresh air.

Now I'm not expecting anyone to know exactly what I've got but if someone has experianced this before please reply... I'm afraid of going to the doctors as I worry a lot.

I am 16 years old, nearly 17 and have had this for quite some time... This isn't the only time and have had it too many times now and want it to stop! I actually have a bruise on my arm from it last night!
    There is a type of hallucination called hypnagogic hallucinations which occur just before we fall asleep. It could be that. However, if you are concerned about your mental health it may be worth checking in with your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't spoke to a GP yet no in fact I work at one... The hypnagogic one sounds very similar to what I am experiencing so I will also have a look into that. I'm a little afraid of going to the doctors and being told I have something I don't want to hear if that makes sense... I only just plucked up the courage to post it on here annonymously.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't spoke to a GP yet no in fact I work at one... The hypnagogic one sounds very similar to what I am experiencing so I will also have a look into that. I'm a little afraid of going to the doctors and being told I have something I don't want to hear if that makes sense... I only just plucked up the courage to post it on here annonymously.
    When you go mention the hypnagogic thing first as that's not throwing yourself into any extreme diagnosis too soon and won't make you feel like you're 'completely crazy'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good evening all,

I'm not sure really what it could be, though I have heared about hallucinations being linked to your mental state so maybe if you're feeling anxious or depressed it could be contributing.
    I will say though that I used to have difficulty at night. I would find it hard to sleep and my mind started to fill the emptieness of night with worry. It developed over time and eventually I feared night time. I would suggest that if you are concerned or confused you see a doctor about it now and hopefully prevent it from growing into a bigger issue. This sort of thing does happen to people so don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about it. They are a professional and won't judge you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.