Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some people so militant about going to uni? Watch

To put it simply when I leave college I want to get an apprenticeship/job rather than go to university.

However, everyone in my family hates the idea of this and I'm not sure what to do. My father got so angry when I told him he now gives me lectures about how important it is everyday, as well as other family members. I don't say anything and wait until he finishes, I'm going to try to avoid talking to him from now on until I settle down.

Not just people in my family; whenever I tell people (especially the older generation) they act shocked and actual uni students get angry and ask hundreds of questions. I hear the same reasons everyday which don't even apply to me.

I want to make my own choices in life, not be insulted by everyone else for choosing to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To put it simply when I leave college I want to get an apprenticeship/job rather than go to university.

However, everyone in my family hates the idea of this and I'm not sure what to do. My father got so angry when I told him he now gives me lectures about how important it is everyday, as well as other family members. I don't say anything and wait until he finishes, I'm going to try to avoid talking to him from now on until I settle down.

Not just people in my family; whenever I tell people (especially the older generation) they act shocked and actual uni students get angry and ask hundreds of questions. I hear the same reasons everyday which don't even apply to me.

I want to make my own choices in life, not be insulted by everyone else for choosing to work?
    You'll be better off actually getting some life experience and earning money then building up a debt because you did something you didn't want to do in the first place. And also, you can go to university whenever or study whilst you work etc.

You're coming to an age where YOUR life starts. You only have one, don't spend it doing things you don't want to do if you have better options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.