Latin Sequence of Tenses- Help!! Watch

11owolea
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have recently been introduced to the sequence of tenses by my latin teacher. Having checked over and read about it online, I think that he may have explained it incorrectly. What he said was that the tense of the subjunctive verb in latin depends on whether the action is a completed action or not, rather than when the action in the subordinate clause stands in relation to the main verb. Here are some examples- we were given the english and we had to decide what tense the subjunctive verb would be if the sentence were translated into latin. Please can you check if I am correct:

We had already succeeded so well that we hoped to win- subjunctive verb would be imperfect as the perfect verb 'hoped' takes place after the pluperfect main verb 'had succeeded'

He ran so quickly that no one could catch him- subjunctive verb would be imperfect as the two verbs occur at the same time relatively speaking

We shall ask what he is doing- subjunctive verb should be in the perfect because the present tense 'is doing' takes place before the future 'we shall'

Have you heard what he has done- subjunctive verb would be present, as the two verbs occur at the same time

Thanks for your help- I'm just really confused!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (7)
38.89%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (5)
27.78%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (2)
11.11%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (1)
5.56%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (3)
16.67%

Watched Threads