The Student Room Group

How to go about resitting gcse maths at uni?

Anyone know? it seems like a waste doing a gap year just to resit maths as i got my place anyway so would i have time to resit it at uni and how would i go about doing this?

I have a C atm btw but want to resit and get an A/B more for pride issues and just to boost my CV although most people say it won't hinder my job opportunities anyway.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexp98
Anyone know? it seems like a waste doing a gap year just to resit maths as i got my place anyway so would i have time to resit it at uni and how would i go about doing this?

I have a C atm btw but want to resit and get an A/B more for pride issues and just to boost my CV although most people say it won't hinder my job opportunities anyway.
Thanks

You would need to find a college willing to take you on as a private candidate. However honestly think what you would rather be doing in your spare time- having fun with your new friends or studying Maths?
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
You would need to find a college willing to take you on as a private candidate. However honestly think what you would rather be doing in your spare time- having fun with your new friends or studying Maths?

Of course with friends, but wouldn't an A/B on my Cv look at lot better than a C, especially as i got an A in English too.
Original post by alexp98
Of course with friends, but wouldn't an A/B on my Cv look at lot better than a C, especially as i got an A in English too.

Nobody is particularly likely to care about whether your Maths grade is an A, B or C once you've already been through further education and got a degree :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Saoirse:3
Nobody is particularly likely to care about whether your Maths grade is an A, B or C once you've already been through further education and got a degree :smile:

Ok thanks, it's probably better i leave it then
If your degree has anything to do with math then honestly I don't think you should be going to university.
Original post by alexp98

It won't make a jot of difference, work experience and the actual job application matter far more. Sometimes A-Level results matter too. Besides you don't list individual grades on a CV anyway, you just put x number of GCSE's at A*-C incl. English & Maths.*
Reply 7
Dont listen to those guys. Resit maths and get your A otherwise you'll be 30 and regret not getting the grade you deserve. For jobs in finance you need A/B in gcse maths.
Don't bother resitting GCSE maths as you will have a degree. Anyways employers tend to look at your previous work history/experience more. The qualifications you have will be just an added bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexp98
Ok thanks, it's probably better i leave it then

You won't get a letter grade in 2017 anyway as they are changing to numbers - so I would forget it.

Your degree is far more important.
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
You won't get a letter grade in 2017 anyway as they are changing to numbers - so I would forget it.

Your degree is far more important.

Ah ok, so would it not be possible at all to resit the old style?
What degree will you be doing? Once you graduate no-one will care about your Alevels let alone GCSEs. There are much better things to be doing at uni!
Reply 12
Original post by Duncan2012
What degree will you be doing? Once you graduate no-one will care about your Alevels let alone GCSEs. There are much better things to be doing at uni!

Accounting and finance.. which is why i thought a resit would be worth it
Original post by alexp98
Ah ok, so would it not be possible at all to resit the old style?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549374/saving-and-transitional-provisions-for-gcse-qualifications-graded-a-g.pdf

There is [see the rules above] but it may be difficcult to find a school willing to let you take it.
Reply 14

Ah, i am so confused pal, would you be willing to help me find a college or school that does? i'll be in leicester uni. Also as i sat the qualification about 2 years ago, would i have to do the same exam board or could it be any?
Original post by alexp98
Ah, i am so confused pal, would you be willing to help me find a college or school that does? i'll be in leicester uni. Also as i sat the qualification about 2 years ago, would i have to do the same exam board or could it be any?

You'll need to check where you will be in the exam date ie home or Leicester. You can sit any board - I'd approach your old school/college first if you'll be at home.

However, I would forget it and concentrate on uni.

I've just checked the dates and the exams are 25th May and 8th June 2017.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
You'll need to check where you will be in the exam date ie home or Leicester. You can sit any board - I'd approach your old school/college first if you'll be at home.

Ah ok thanks, do you not think a C will ever hinder me in the future or is emphasis always on degree grade and experience?
Reply 17

I've just checked the dates and the exams are 25th May and 8th June 2017.

Thank you very much for the help, i have just checked my uni exam dates and i am free that day, i'd be in Leicester
Original post by alexp98
Ah ok thanks, do you not think a C will ever hinder me in the future or is emphasis always on degree grade and experience?

I wouldn't have thought so -

I've just added the exam dates which could straddle the end of term and make resit impossible/very difficult.
Reply 19
Original post by IAmElephant
If your degree has anything to do with math then honestly I don't think you should be going to university.

Why is this? If i retook maths now i could get an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending