The Student Room Group

Adult GCSEs From Home.

I'm interested in taking GCSEs in English, Science and Maths. I'm considering distant learning and highering a tutor to support.

I've worked with a tutor before when I learnt Spanish. I figured I could buy the courses and we work through them.

Is this a good idea? I've seen websites for tutors. Are there any websites for a course and tutor? Would Science involve practical course work?

Thank you.

(I'm 31 years old)
Original post by Grog
I'm interested in taking GCSEs in English, Science and Maths. I'm considering distant learning and highering a tutor to support.

I've worked with a tutor before when I learnt Spanish. I figured I could buy the courses and we work through them.

Is this a good idea? I've seen websites for tutors. Are there any websites for a course and tutor? Would Science involve practical course work?

Thank you.

(I'm 31 years old)

You really need to undertake an English Language GCSE. *

*You're considering "highering" a tutor to support you?
Reply 2
Yes, I'm interested in hiring a tutor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grog
Yes, I'm interested in highering a tutor.

*hiring
Reply 4
Edit :tongue:
I sat most of my GCSEs in May-June this year, and one GCSE in June last year. I'm now starting Year 12.

For English GCSE I really would recommend face-to-face learning; it's not just learning how to master an exam, as there are skills that need to be taught and honed.

Maths GCSE, depending on your natural ability, would probably be fairly easy to at least get a C in from home - a lot of the Higher Tier stuff I needed guidance with, and I came out with a B in the end. However, there are online tutorials and MathsWatch as an alternative to traditional teaching.

I sat two sciences GCSEs (Core and Additional) and came out with B and C respectively. When I sat them in 2015-2016, there was an externally assessed practical exam that is worth 25% of the final grade. You'd need to find a centre that would invigilate etc. if this still applies.

Obviously I sat the final series of old GCSEs. Some of the info here might be irrelevant. I suggest you do some more research into this, and see if there are any reasonably priced courses around online or at local colleges - in my area there are evening classes in maths, English and science GCSEs at some local colleges.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest