Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have completed the full A-Level of chemistry and flunked it really badly. I was considering sitting the new spec as you have to sit all the exams at the end of the year. Will I struggle? I understand you have to do 12 practicals and it is long? I just want a little perspective. How hard is it? Can you self-teach it or is the emphasis too much on practicals. Obviously I have 2 years of doing chemistry I feel am good with the content and again we did a lot of practicals. Please guys help me.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    Someone please? Do I have to sit all 12 practicals? I put this in chemistry to make it easier but no-one is responding .

ReputationRep:
    Read the specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Read the specification.
    I have it doesn't say I do but I want to know more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    I have it doesn't say I do but I want to know more
    If the 12 practicals are part of the qualification you'll have to do them. It would be grossly unfair if you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    If the 12 practicals are part of the qualification you'll have to do them. It would be grossly unfair if you didn't.
    It gives you a small advantage in the exams. I wouldnt not get the Practical endcorsement but I have done it for 2 years before.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am doing it. The practical element is a relatively important part of the qualification. I don't think it contributes do your grade at all but if you do not do any, you have basically failed the practical element, and it won't look good for university (if you're doing chemistry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Hi, I am doing it. The practical element is a relatively important part of the qualification. I don't think it contributes do your grade at all but if you do not do any, you have basically failed the practical element, and it won't look good for university (if you're doing chemistry)
    Thanks. Well I am not doing chemistry practicals and my chemistry teacher is actually my referee :P. I have done well in last year control assessments so he can talk about how I am able to but how I switched to the new spec :P. I am not also not doing a science at university. It is relatively important but do you not think it is do-able at home/youtube

ReputationRep:
    It is relatively important but do you not think it is do-able at home/youtube
    Definitely not because otherwise you would need to purchase all these relatively expensive resources and you'd need a realistic space at home to do it. Also, what about safety? Do you have a fume cupboard at home to take away the toxic fumes? Although you could purchase the equipment for home use, you will never be allowed to do at home anyway for safety reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Well I am not doing chemistry practicals and my chemistry teacher is actually my referee :P. I have done well in last year control assessments so he can talk about how I am able to but how I switched to the new spec :P. I am not also not doing a science at university. It is relatively important but do you not think it is do-able at home/youtube
    Do not try to perform any type of experiment at home. You do not have the training or experience to know if what you would do is safe.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's definitely possible to self teach yourself, I mostly did because college wasn't a good environment for me for the majority of the year, wishing you luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not because otherwise you would need to purchase all these relatively expensive resources and you'd need a realistic space at home to do it. Also, what about safety? Do you have a fume cupboard at home to take away the toxic fumes? Although you could purchase the equipment for home use, you will never be allowed to do at home anyway for safety reasons.
    LOL of course I wouldnt do it at home. I am not that stupid. Like I said I have done chemistry for 2 years. For example I know how titration works and adding extra drops of Phenylsophlein can make results less accurate and the equipment used. I mean so many people home study it isnt a massive issue. I have made my decision.

(Original post by bekii)
    I think it's definitely possible to self teach yourself, I mostly did because college wasn't a good environment for me for the majority of the year, wishing you luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you if you don't mind me messaging your results and some tips I would be really grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you can teach yourself Chemistry at home... But you'll fail the practical element. Full stop. I don't need to go into more detail

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you can teach yourself Chemistry at home... But you'll fail the practical element. Full stop. I don't need to go into more detail
    I just want to know what you mean by I will fail... Do you mean in terms of not being good at experiments I couldn't be less bothered about that. For the information I got Practically full UMS in two ISA's practicals in the ISA's off the old specification I think universities can see that. If you are saying I will fail the whole A-Level then I would like to know why you think that. I genuinely want to know the specimen papers look easier the previous year paper was ok but really low grade boundaries. We will also have 30 multiple questions in paper 3 will be good fun!

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know what you mean by I will fail... Do you mean in terms of not being good at experiments I couldn't be less bothered about that. For the information I got Practically full UMS in two ISA's practicals in the ISA's off the old specification I think universities can see that. If you are saying I will fail the whole A-Level then I would like to know why you think that. I genuinely want to know the specimen papers look easier the previous year paper was ok but really low grade boundaries. We will also have 30 multiple questions in paper 3 will be good fun!
    I personally don't think you are not capable of doing Chemistry A-level at all, you've proven it in the old spec. I'm trying to make a point that you'll never pass the practical element, not because of how good you are, but by the fact you'll never be allowed to take it at home; for safety reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think you are not capable of doing Chemistry A-level at all, you've proven it in the old spec. I'm trying to make a point that you'll never pass the practical element, not because of how good you are, but by the fact you'll never be allowed to take it at home; for safety reasons.
    The practical element is not needed. You can get an A-Level grade without doing the practicals! I am not planning on doing at home I am just saying that I can see youtube videos and do google searches to see these experiments. I just wanted to know what people think about it and how important it is. I phoned AQA and they confirmed this. This however has made me skeptical and I will get it in writing. Do you really think someone who home studies can't get an A in chemistry is so why? You say you will never pass the practical element. Now looking at your threads you seem like a very smart person. I don't understand what you mean by that phrase "you'll never pass the practical element" are you trying to say I would have failed as I didnt do the practicals but still walk out with an A. Are you trying to say I will struggle in the exams if so why? Sorry maybe I am confused

ReputationRep:
    practical element is a relatively important part of the qualification. I don't think it contributes do your grade at all
    I don't know why you're jumping to conclusions. I'm not saying you'll struggle in the exam, I'm not saying you can't get an A. I never even said that doing the practical affects your grade. I made a statement about safety and I thought you was ignoring what people said and was going do practicals at home. But fair enough.

Anyway, I hope you do well, anyone is perfectly capable of teaching themselves Chemistry at home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you're jumping to conclusions. I'm not saying you'll struggle in the exam, I'm not saying you can't get an A. I never even said that doing the practical affects your grade. I made a statement about safety and I thought you was ignoring what people said and was going do practicals at home. But fair enough.

Anyway, I hope you do well, anyone is perfectly capable of teaching themselves Chemistry at home.

No I am sorry, I am just really paranoid and I do not want to fail again. It is maybe my fault the way I worded it making people think I am doing the experiments at home. It is just the way you used the word fail and it made me panic. I hope you do well too

ReputationRep:

Bump and can someone tell me the experiments they have done. I understand its long anyone please. If you could even say one it would be highly appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.