Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am studying engineering at Loughborough University. On my results, I narrowly missed a 2.1 (58.7).

I have been considering applying for a placement, and I was wondering if I could report my grade as an expected/on track for a 2.1, as it is seems a realistic grade expectation. Is it allowed?

ReputationRep:
    you can say you're expected a 2.1 but you can't say you got a 2.1 in your first year because you didn't
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Summit)
    Hi everyone,

I am studying engineering at Loughborough University. On my results, I narrowly missed a 2.1 (58.7).

I have been considering applying for a placement, and I was wondering if I could report my grade as an expected/on track for a 2.1, as it is seems a realistic grade expectation. Is it allowed?
    Are you specifically asked to predict a grade? Everyone knows that Universities do not have a mechanism for predicting grades - there are only 3 basic choices and you aren't going to pick 2.2, very few will brazen out a 1st, so 90+% of people will say 2.1 and so it's pointless.

Unless you are in your final year, with consistent grades behind you, and you've been asked - don't predict. More than anything, it undermines the credibility of what else you have put in your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Are you specifically asked to predict a grade? Everyone knows that Universities do not have a mechanism for predicting grades - there are only 3 basic choices and you aren't going to pick 2.2, very few will brazen out a 1st, so 90+% of people will say 2.1 and so it's pointless.

Unless you are in your final year, with consistent grades behind you, and you've been asked - don't predict. More than anything, it undermines the credibility of what else you have put in your application.
    I haven't started applying, but all placements mention they want you to have an "expected 2.1", except a couple that specify "achieved 2.1". I am currently just searching and shortlisting companies, and I am trying to understand if I qualify for those "expected 2.1" placements
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Summit)
    I haven't started applying, but all placements mention they want you to have an "expected 2.1", except a couple that specify "achieved 2.1". I am currently just searching and shortlisting companies, and I am trying to understand if I qualify for those "expected 2.1" placements
    Expect is meaningless, apply anyway. It only takes one confident dream of graduating with a 2.1 and you can say you are 'expecting' one, it's not like pregnancy where it really means something!

ReputationRep:
    No. "Expected 2:1" means nothing. They will require concrete grades, so in your case, a 2:2. Also, a lot of places will automatically filter out anyone not currently on a 2:1 or above, so saying you're "expecting a 2:1" will do nothing and you will be filtered out regardless.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Also, a lot of places will automatically filter out anyone not currently on a 2:1 or above, .
    Really? Who for example? I've never heard of full disclosure of module grades, end of year grade calculations and how the degree grade is calculated in an application form. That would all be required for the employer to assess the information for any meaningful purpose.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    No. "Expected 2:1" means nothing. They will require concrete grades, so in your case, a 2:2. Also, a lot of places will automatically filter out anyone not currently on a 2:1 or above, so saying you're "expecting a 2:1" will do nothing and you will be filtered out regardless.
    If an expected 2:1 meant nothing then graduate recruitment in the UK would be markedly different. Organisations would have to wait until students had graduated before they could recruit them for their graduate intakes. In reality tens of thousands of graduates are recruited on the basis of an expected 2:1 or above each year.

The OP does not have a grade as they have not graduated yet, so hence cannot say they have a 2:2. Hence, the OP says they are predicted a 2:1.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    I've never heard of full disclosure of module grades
    I have occasionally came across application forms that have requested all modules taken and the grade awarded for them, but I agree it's quite rare

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.