Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just want to have a bit of a moan...

I have recently lost all my school friends; long story but in all honesty we had all drifted apart anyway. (I think my mum is right, I am missing what we had 5 years ago - if we were all together now we would have nothing in common anymore) .... but it still does not make it easy. I am studying open university and the only people I am friends with are those that I work with. In fact my group of work friends are all over the age of 40. So they are all married ect.. I have nobody to go out with anymore, I am only 23 and feeling a little bit stuck..

Anyone else been in this annoying situation.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any group/societies/clubs you could join at your Uni etc, maybe you could make some new friends with common interests
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You can try meetup.com

ReputationRep:
    Oh no

I worry about this too after Uni, can't see my current group of friends becoming people I'll stay in contact with tbqh

As suggested meetup.com is the best option, no point hanging round with middle aged dudes and wasting your youth, it'll be daunting maybe meeting up with total strangers but soldier through and you'll meet people your age. On the plus side too, meetup has a fair variety of activities so you'll not be a sad boring loser in the pub in the afternoon drinking your life away, so do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banksyy)
    I just want to have a bit of a moan...

I have recently lost all my school friends; long story but in all honesty we had all drifted apart anyway. (I think my mum is right, I am missing what we had 5 years ago - if we were all together now we would have nothing in common anymore) .... but it still does not make it easy. I am studying open university and the only people I am friends with are those that I work with. In fact my group of work friends are all over the age of 40. So they are all married ect.. I have nobody to go out with anymore, I am only 23 and feeling a little bit stuck..

Go to a football match to watch the team you support play (assuming you have one), talk to the fans next to you and then offer to buy them a drink after the game if they seem interested in talking to you. You just have to be outgoing and create opportunities.

ReputationRep:

In a way, I've been in the same situation because I started uni with practically no friends and I went through school/college much the same. All it took was a massive push in the right direction for me to start making new friends and meeting people on a regular basis. I suffer from social anxiety, so needless to say it can be quite difficult.

What do you do outside work? If we have more information on your lifestyle, we could offer suggestions on what to do to meet others in your age group. Generally speaking though, putting yourself out there as much as you can is the best way to go about finding change.

ReputationRep:
    Well I used to be able to drive and go to the gym ect but lost my licence (doctors orders).
    That ballsed everything up even more.... I live just outside of the city so no buses are near me.
    When I am home, I am home.. I can get lifts places but it just is not the same, I miss my car

So my lifestyle, pretty crap right now.

ReputationRep:
    Well I used to be able to drive and go to the gym ect but lost my licence (doctors orders).
    That ballsed everything up even more.... I live just outside of the city so no buses are near me.
    When I am home, I am home.. I can get lifts places but it just is not the same, I miss my car

So my lifestyle, pretty crap right now.
    What interests do you have? Hobbies, even if done solo at home?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.