The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
What would you do with your desktop that you couldn't do with your laptop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Im bringing my computer, most people have said not to but I don't have a laptop and use my computer a lot. So I'm guessing ill use it their as well, Im in the premier deluxe double in vine court so hopefully mine is bigger (but I was going to bring it if I got the smaller room I wanted anyway)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
My experience of having a desktop PC at uni was that it was a pain to transport between home and uni at the start/end of term.
Original post by Callum1708
Hey.

So I just ordered a new laptop to use for uni. However I've also been thinking about whether or not i'd be able to bring my desktop computer. From the pictures I've seen of the rooms I'm not sure if it would be practical to bring my desktop (since the desk in the room doesn't look all that big for a tower and monitor).

Anyone else been thinking about bringing their desktop computer?

I would have found a desktop computer really helpful in first year because i hate writing essay, researching or writing lecture notes on my laptop. If your desk looks like it will have room for a desktop then i would go for it. I wish i did, my desk was massive. I just used my laptop for youtube and stuff.
Reply 5
I did for my first year and will do again for my second year. I dont have a laptop because I'm i to pc gaming and I also use it for doing work and everything else. For me, its totally worth bringing and very much needed.

For me its not really a hassle to transport there and back, my parents help me move in and the car is big enough so its relatively easy to move from home to accomodation and back. I went private for both years and it fit onto my table fine, not sire about vine court though.
Reply 6
Original post by Hayley Williams
I would have found a desktop computer really helpful in first year because i hate writing essay, researching or writing lecture notes on my laptop. If your desk looks like it will have room for a desktop then i would go for it. I wish i did, my desk was massive. I just used my laptop for youtube and stuff.

At the moment I'm thinking that I might just bring one of my monitors that I can then connect to my laptop and also bring my keyboard and mouse (I also hate typing on laptops). I think the only way I'd be able to bring my actual desktop would be If I changed the case (since the case I have now is basically a massive cube).

I guess I'll just wait till I've actually moved in to decide if I'll bring the actual computer when I'll have a better grasp of how big the desk is.
What for gaming?
Other than that, I don't see any point.
Reply 8
Original post by Callum1708
At the moment I'm thinking that I might just bring one of my monitors that I can then connect to my laptop and also bring my keyboard and mouse (I also hate typing on laptops). I think the only way I'd be able to bring my actual desktop would be If I changed the case (since the case I have now is basically a massive cube).

I guess I'll just wait till I've actually moved in to decide if I'll bring the actual computer when I'll have a better grasp of how big the desk is.

Hey I lived in double bedroom at vine court and the desk is definitely big enough for a desktop - and your room will be bigger than mine. However i'd recommend just bringing a laptop as it's easier and you can use desktops in the library and around campus for essays when you need to.
I have been thinking of bringing my PC because I have spent majority of my life PC gaming and programming and doing every single thing on my computer. Not only that I wouldn't cope without it but I would definitely need a powerful PC for the studying, programming, growing YouTube and other channels and talking to my boyfriend ;-; . I really hope that I can take my pc because I could never cope with just a laptop, they are portable but kind of useless, I just can't.
Hi there,

I thought I would just add if you are worried about fitting in your PC within your halls you can always email the accommodation team to get a certain measurement e.g. width of the desk, on this email here: [email protected]

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Original post by peachyoana
I have been thinking of bringing my PC because I have spent majority of my life PC gaming and programming and doing every single thing on my computer. Not only that I wouldn't cope without it but I would definitely need a powerful PC for the studying, programming, growing YouTube and other channels and talking to my boyfriend ;-; . I really hope that I can take my pc because I could never cope with just a laptop, they are portable but kind of useless, I just can't.
Original post by peachyoana

hmmm i went onto this article because I wasn't sure whether buying a desktop was worth buying when I'm going into uni accommodation. I was thinking of buying a PC because I'm into PC gaming as well but obviously most games are available on Microsoft but I'm not sure how to feel about getting Microsoft laptops for gaming since I'm going into music, a MacBook is the best but.... ahhhhh. this chain made me so confused on whether I should buy a pc or not for uni xd