Does anyone have any advice on how to invest your savings after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    During my first year of uni I managed to save a fair bit of my money and I am looking to save around the same amount over my next two years. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to invest these savings after graduating. I've been looking at ways to invest but there are so many options so I was hoping someone could impart some of their knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _georgina)
    During my first year of uni I managed to save a fair bit of my money and I am looking to save around the same amount over my next two years. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to invest these savings after graduating. I've been looking at ways to invest but there are so many options so I was hoping someone could impart some of their knowledge on the subject. Thanks.
    it depends on how long you want to save for
    the risk you're willing to take
    and the amount you want to invest
    Spoiler:
    Show
    at the moment i have a half case of chateau y'dquem 2009, an 1/2ct pink investment diamond, a tube of sovereigns, 10 krugerands, a half kilo gold bar, £7,000 in a peer to peer car rental company and £9,000 in the stock market

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomad992)
    But if you expect to be a high earner in the future and currently have student debt then you are absolutely far better off paying that off early as it will save you a sizeable amount of money.
    Can you explain this further please? I thought student loan debt was not "visible" that it would not affect trading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomad992)
    What would you like to know?

I do not really understand your angle with the question but student debt will not "prevent" or have a negative effect on trading. It will however be an unwise financial choice in OP's situation.

If you mean "visible" as in not real debt then you are dead wrong.
    I understand that it is real debt, but I also understand that it hasn't affected my credit score or getting a mortgage, even for buy to let.

What I am asking is that how will it/does it affect me trading? Or are you saying that it's not good to have outstanding debt in general (which I agree)? Or are you saying studentfinance will want a piece of every stock I own if I don't repay all of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr B)
    I understand that it is real debt, but I also understand that it hasn't affected my credit score or getting a mortgage, even for buy to let.
    It's taken into consideration for mortgage payments and the like only insofar as student finance repayments will reduce your take home pay.

ReputationRep:
    Invest in bitcoin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _georgina)
    Since you sound like a novice your best option is to either spread your savings across high interest savings accounts (nothing below 3% interest) or/and put your money into a stocks and shares ISA and then track an index.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Invest in my shopping trip

ReputationRep:
    Buy a kilo of cocaine and sell 1g baggies to the kids. Or buy a romanian / bulgarian off a people smuggler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    at the moment i have a half case of chateau y'dquem 2009, an 1/2ct pink investment diamond, a tube of sovereigns, 10 krugerands, a half kilo gold bar, £7,000 in a peer to peer car rental company and £9,000 in the stock market
    Why am I so jealous and revering of you?

Teach me, maestro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    Why am I so jealous and revering of you?

Teach me, maestro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    most of it has just be bought over time some of the bits were traded but the full breakdown is
    the chateau y'dquem was bought from Waitrose cellar
    the pink diamond from leibish
    the sovereigns were recovered from scrap pieces I bought
    the gold bar I bought from a client who needed the cash to buy his daughter a car
    the Krugerrands were bought from bullionbypost
    the cash in the car rental company is buy2letcars (they'reused a lot by uber)
    and the stock market breaks down to £5,000 in BA and £1,000 each in MAB, IHG, BP and BT

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.