Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am disgusted at the way that farm animals are treated yet I still eat meat Watch

ReputationRep:
    Especially in factory farms.

I know fine well I am contributing to an industry that causes suffering to many defenceless animals day in and day out and the way these animals are treated is a disgrace. Does this make me a hypocrite?

Just hope that in the afterlife we don't go to a world that is dominated by pigs/chicken/cows/ sheep (that know how we treated them in this world) because if we do, I feel some form of revenge is coming our way.

ReputationRep:

... s**t

ReputationRep:
    factory farms are great, they produce so much meat from so little space and resources, a god send really.
    honestly there very little other good ways to produce meat ....so sleep knowing that you eatting factory farmed meat, mean more food for everyone around the world, and meat so cheap, even working class people can buy it.

ReputationRep:
    Stop eating factory farmed animals ? Smiles make happy animals tastier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    factory farms are great, they produce so much meat from so little space and resources, a god send really.
    honestly there very little other good ways to produce meat ....so sleep knowing that you eatting factory farmed meat, mean more food for everyone around the world, and meat so cheap, even working class people can buy it.
    Really?

Do you know how much food is wasted on farm animals to fatten them up for meat? Do you know how much crops are sold from Africa to the rest of the world for farm food when those vegetables could have been eaten by the people there?Ironically, Factory farming reduces the overall amount of food, not increase it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogofjudah)
    Stop eating factory farmed animals ? Smiles make happy animals tastier.
    That's practically impossible if I eat meat.

99.9% of chicken come from factory farms
    99% of turkeys
    95% of pigs
    78% of cows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calling03)
    That's practically impossible if I eat meat.

99.9% of chicken come from factory farms
    99% of turkeys
    95% of pigs
    78% of cows
    Unbiased source ?

Highest I could find for chicken was 94%, if you were that bothered you would look for that 6%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogofjudah)
    Unbiased source ?

Highest I could find for chicken was 94%, if you were that bothered you would look for that 6%
    Numerous sources- including the bbc.

ReputationRep:
    Im the same as you. But the truth is you not eating meat won't really change anything. Its only if everyone stops. Maybe only eat meat from animals which was treated right?

ReputationRep:
    Especially in factory farms.

I know fine well I am contributing to an industry that causes suffering to many defenceless animals day in and day out and the way these animals are treated is a disgrace. Does this make me a hypocrite?

Just hope that in the afterlife we don't go to a world that is dominated by pigs/chicken/cows/ sheep (that know how we treated them in this world) because if we do, I feel some form of revenge is coming our way.
    You should become a vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    Im the same as you. But the truth is you not eating meat won't really change anything. Its only if everyone stops. Maybe only eat meat from animals which was treated right?
    That's my kind of thinking too, 'the way these animals are treated is disgusting but there isn't really much i can do to stop it and the meat tastes good'.

But how can I complain about the way these people treat the animals when I am paying them to do this by buying the meat produced?

There are also many stories about how these 'free-range' animals aren't treated well either.

Idk i think i am going to try and be a vegetarian at least. Even if it is just a small difference it makes it is still a difference. And I could inspire someone else with similar views to go down this root if it works out for me and I could give them informed advice - leading to a bigger difference.

Anyone out there a vegetarian/vegan want to give me some advice? How was it when you went vegetarian? Was it hard? Do you feel healthier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    You should become a vegetarian.
    I am thinking about it.

Are you a vegetarian?

ReputationRep:
    So eat only free range, and limit the animals you eat. I would be vegan if my health could sustain it (alas it cannot) :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about it.

Are you a vegetarian?
    I am. I haven't eaten meat sice i left home in 2001, with the exceptions of one of my hospital admissions, and i once had a lamb samosa by mistake. It is quite easy really if you break the cycle. Vegetarian food can be both delicious and healthy. You don't need meat to survive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.