Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just started final year of medicine in the UK. After doing my elective in the U.S. I'm considering applying for residency there.

I have read the many, MANY USMLE threads on here, but actually coordinating a residency application seems extremely tricky time-wise.

Given I am also studying for finals this year, does anyone have any suggestions on the best time to sit steps 1 and 2 (for me)?

Also what sort of time frame should I expect between sitting steps 1 and 2? (I understand step 2 CS has to be sat in the U.S.)

ReputationRep:
    When do you want to move or are you just doing it as a Plan B/Vanity Project?

Do you get another elective in your final year?
    I think the keen beans at my medical school did it then or first part then & finished in F1 as they moved part way through F1 or at F2 stage.

(Original post by Elles)
    When do you want to move or are you just doing it as a Plan B/Vanity Project?

Do you get another elective in your final year?
    I think the keen beans at my medical school did it then or first part then & finished in F1 as they moved part way through F1 or at F2 stage.
    Thank you for the reply. I'm wanting to move asap after graduating really. I have a reasonable amount research experience and have made plenty of good contacts in the US for a mildly competitive application. The elective is done only as part of 4th year at our med school, and I hadn't actually considered actually moving there until now. So I'm starting from scratch here trying to put some sort of USMLE / application plan together!

My game plan at the moment is as follows (could anyone comment on whether this is a realistic time frame or not?):

- start studying for step 1 now (sept 2016) a couple of hours a day plus full weekends (weekdays dedicated to studying for finals)
    - revise full time May 2017 - Aug 2017. Sit step 1 in Aug 2017.
    - sit steps 2 ck and cs Aug - December 2017

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.