Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So....I just started off my as year at my local college, and for some reason I think its a lot harder than GCSE. I am taking this because I got an overall A* grade on Maths and I show enthusiasm towards maths, which is why I am choosing this year. And I'm not the type of guy who leaves the work later on to be finished and I did practise Maths every now and then.

So my question is should I feel petrified and feel intimidated by the maths or shall I carry along by what I was doing at GCSE?

Thank you for helping me out and answering my question out XOXOX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARK_REVISES)
    So....I just started off my as year at my local college, and for some reason I think its a lot harder than GCSE. I am taking this because I got an overall A* grade on Maths and I show enthusiasm towards maths, which is why I am choosing this year. And I'm not the type of guy who leaves the work later on to be finished and I did practise Maths every now and then.

So my question is should I feel petrified and feel intimidated by the maths or shall I carry along by what I was doing at GCSE?

Thank you for helping me out and answering my question out XOXOX
    It would help if you could tell us what exactly you're having trouble with. It's normal to find that there's a jump in difficulty between GCSE and A-Level, but the best way to deal with this is to practise algebraic manipulation, as this is where students often initially have trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    It would help if you could tell us what exactly you're having trouble with. It's normal to find that there's a jump in difficulty between GCSE and A-Level, but the best way to deal with this is to practise algebraic manipulation, as this is where students often initially have trouble.
    well, I still didnt start the maths lessons properly but its like something new that I haven't encountered before.

And I think I am more worried about the jump from GCSE to A level.

Could I ask you how many hours do you recommend to me to spend for maths outside lessons?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    well, I still didnt start the maths lessons properly but its like something new that I haven't encountered before.

And I think I am more worried about the jump from GCSE to A level.

Could I ask you how many hours do you recommend to me to spend for maths outside lessons?
    Spend however long you need as long as you're up to date with topics (or beyond) and understand everything. You'll get used to it, no need to worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Spend however long you need as long as you're up to date with topics (or beyond) and understand everything. You'll get used to it, no need to worry.
    Have you done AS maths? And if you did it, what did you get?

Also what other courses did you take?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Have you done AS maths? And if you did it, what did you get?

Also what other courses did you take?
    I took Maths and Further Maths at AS then A2. Got A* and B respectively in the end.

My other course was Business Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    I took Maths and Further Maths at AS then A2. Got A* and B respectively in the end.

My other course was Business Studies.
    Respect man, You have my respect. And G'luck on the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.