Asterian
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been biking a lot, and I love audiobooks. I bought my first mp3 player just to listen to podcasts and audiobooks when commuting. Are there any audiobooks you recommend?

I like ones that are audio plays (for that matter I like listening to old Beeb shows, like Mitchell and Webb), and probably my fave is John Hodgman's "Complete World Knowledge", because it's very funny, read by the author in a very deadpan style, and it uses the medium to distinguish itself, it's not just "someone reading the book aloud".
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I like audiobooks too. I've always preferred listening to stories than music when travelling. But audiobooks come into their own at night when you're too tired to read but can't get to sleep, a life saver for insomniacs like me. I usually buy audio versions of big, dusty books that I'll never get around to reading. I recently bought War and Peace (61 hours :eek:), might save that for a really long journey.
jjJason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love the dramatisations. The BBC do great work, ive been enjoying the diving comedy & the odyssey
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've to The Archers since I was 15

Apparently their listener age is 45+

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
Bumping this to say I just got 10 audiobooks for free from Audible. :awesome: Also, someone has kindly uploaded Lord of the Rings to YouTube... good book to read, ever better one to listen to.

Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Debating whether to start listening to auidobooks.

On some of the Kindles, (not the paperwhite unfortunately) you do have the choice of voice instead of reading it and it sounds so robotic. Is that the general case with audiobooks?
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Debating whether to start listening to auidobooks.

On some of the Kindles, (not the paperwhite unfortunately) you do have the choice of voice instead of reading it and it sounds so robotic. Is that the general case with audiobooks?
The voice is a person's voice, usually an actor.

Usually there is only one reader for each book, although some audiobooks (especially famous titles) have been produced more than once so have different readers. You can listen to a few minutes to get an idea of whether you like the reader or not before you buy. I think they're running a free trial at the moment.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Love audiobooks! Helped with insomnia for years when I was younger, these days they are great for long car journeys, can drive from one side of the country to the other pretty much non stop and go through a book. Loads of James Bond books are audiobooks which make great listening, as of course are the Harry Potter books.
panda1093
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've recently got into Audiobooks and I must say I love the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry!
In general, I think audiobooks are great to listen to whilst commuting or just before going to sleep.

Any suggestion on good audiobooks to listen to?
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by panda1093)
I've recently got into Audiobooks and I must say I love the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry!
In general, I think audiobooks are great to listen to whilst commuting or just before going to sleep.

Any suggestion on good audiobooks to listen to?
Lord of the Rings!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads