Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been biking a lot, and I love audiobooks. I bought my first mp3 player just to listen to podcasts and audiobooks when commuting. Are there any audiobooks you recommend?

I like ones that are audio plays (for that matter I like listening to old Beeb shows, like Mitchell and Webb), and probably my fave is John Hodgman's "Complete World Knowledge", because it's very funny, read by the author in a very deadpan style, and it uses the medium to distinguish itself, it's not just "someone reading the book aloud".
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I like audiobooks too. I've always preferred listening to stories than music when travelling. But audiobooks come into their own at night when you're too tired to read but can't get to sleep, a life saver for insomniacs like me. I usually buy audio versions of big, dusty books that I'll never get around to reading. I recently bought War and Peace (61 hours :eek:), might save that for a really long journey.

ReputationRep:
    I love the dramatisations. The BBC do great work, ive been enjoying the diving comedy & the odyssey

ReputationRep:
    I've to The Archers since I was 15

Apparently their listener age is 45+

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this to say I just got 10 audiobooks for free from Audible. :awesome: Also, someone has kindly uploaded Lord of the Rings to YouTube... good book to read, ever better one to listen to.

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Debating whether to start listening to auidobooks.

On some of the Kindles, (not the paperwhite unfortunately) you do have the choice of voice instead of reading it and it sounds so robotic. Is that the general case with audiobooks?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Debating whether to start listening to auidobooks.

On some of the Kindles, (not the paperwhite unfortunately) you do have the choice of voice instead of reading it and it sounds so robotic. Is that the general case with audiobooks?
    The voice is a person's voice, usually an actor.

Usually there is only one reader for each book, although some audiobooks (especially famous titles) have been produced more than once so have different readers. You can listen to a few minutes to get an idea of whether you like the reader or not before you buy. I think they're running a free trial at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Love audiobooks! Helped with insomnia for years when I was younger, these days they are great for long car journeys, can drive from one side of the country to the other pretty much non stop and go through a book. Loads of James Bond books are audiobooks which make great listening, as of course are the Harry Potter books.

ReputationRep:
    I've recently got into Audiobooks and I must say I love the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry!
    In general, I think audiobooks are great to listen to whilst commuting or just before going to sleep.

Any suggestion on good audiobooks to listen to?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda1093)
    I've recently got into Audiobooks and I must say I love the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry!
    In general, I think audiobooks are great to listen to whilst commuting or just before going to sleep.

Any suggestion on good audiobooks to listen to?
    Lord of the Rings!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.