Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

i am hoping an advisor will see this post and help me.

I am curious as to what is deemed 'health reasons' in order to qualify for the extended 60 day period of a deferral date.

i have been told by NUMEROUS advisors that I should get it, but have now APPARENTLY (yes, apparently, as I do not believe the advisor I was talking to) been assessed as not qualifying.. he told me that they are not accepting the university's reasons for my deferral.

He asked me if I had a doctors note, which I did get, but sent it to the university so of course no longer have it....

I think this is disgraceful and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I am sick of being lied to by advisors who just want to get me off the phone and won't give me an ACCURATE assessment of my account and why I have not been accepted for the 60 days additional support, despite being told over and over and over again that this is the policy!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would still like an answer to this disgraceful behaviour by student finance england...

But... I have phoned my university and the lady I spoke to was absolutely stunned that SFE are NOT accepting their reasons for my deferral. She said she has never heard that before - EVER! She said they are supposed to accept the university's reasons.

Anyway she is going to re-send a form through to SFE and hope that will rectify the situation.

Any advice would be gratefully received about this situation.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

When sending over a suspension to Student Finance your University will have to put in a reason for this and is usually simply one of two options, either 'Other' or 'Health'

So long as they input 'Health' we automatically apply the 60 day extension. There are no other pieces of information or reasons that they can put in as we don't require specifics, so the only possibility could be that they have not indicated it was due to health and this can happen often.

A revised suspension notice with the reason changed to 'Health' will correct this.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brian SFE)
    Hi there.

When sending over a suspension to Student Finance your University will have to put in a reason for this and is usually simply one of two options, either 'Other' or 'Health'

So long as they input 'Health' we automatically apply the 60 day extension. There are no other pieces of information or reasons that they can put in as we don't require specifics, so the only possibility could be that they have not indicated it was due to health and this can happen often.

A revised suspension notice with the reason changed to 'Health' will correct this.

Thanks.
    My university did put health as the selection. They initially put 'other', incorrectly, but changed it to health upon receipt of my doctors note to support my deferral.

The advisors on the phone could see that the university had deferred me because of health issues which is why they kept putting it back through for reassessment.. It had been missed by the assessors apparently, as they could also see that the 60 days hadn't been applied to my account.

The advisor I spoke to today said it had been reassessed yesterday and he claims they have weitten on my account that I am not eligible due to insufficient evidence. He said i can apply myself to have the 60 days instated by filling out a letter for compelling circumstances and sending my doctors note.

The university has my doctors note and to be honest they were quite annoyed that sfe have taken it upon themselves to ignore their statement of the reaon I have deferred.

If it is supposed to be automatically applied I think someone needs to tell whoever assessed and then reassessed my application that this is the case!

ReputationRep:
    I phoned back today, to check they had received the notification from my university. They have received it, but he couldn't tell me anything other than it is already being looked at internally.... well that tells me nothing!

Every time I phone SfE I come off the phone with no answers and a few more grey hairs. How can any one company be so incompetent, especially when dealing with such important processes.

I am going to be looking for an email address for complaints.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

It appears as though you are describing more than one process here.

We would not normally ask for evidence from a GP to apply a 60 day extension but will ask for this if you're applying for Compelling Personal Reasons which you've also now mentioned and these are two separate processes.

When we're sent information, it's not immediately processed and will have a timescale to be looked at by our assessment team. Our advisors over the telephone will not be able to give you any results until this time has passed, and an assessor has looked at the information and made a decision.

All complaints information can be found here - http://bit.ly/1cyqb7D

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.