Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

International student : how to see a gynecologist? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I am a French student coming to the University of Edinburgh starting next week for a year of exchange programme. I would like to ask how appointments for sexual health matters work in Edinburgh.

More specifically, I have a couple issues I would like to discuss with a gynecologist (though none of them involve urgent symptoms or anything, more like concerns with my nexplanon implant), and I would also like to have a complete health screening down there. As in, not only an std test, but also for thrush, a check-up of whether the good bacteria are doing okay, and an estrogen level test. I also need a booster shot for a hepatitis B vaccine.

I have no idea who I should turn towards to proceed with all that, should I register with a GP first? Go to a clinic?

Thank you for your kind help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You need to register with a GP and they will talk to you and decide what do you or don't need. You may not get a complete health check up unless needed though but again your GP will advise.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, great. Thank you for your quick and helpful reply

ReputationRep:
    Register with a GP and I think they'll refer you if you need one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeon)
    Hi all

I am a French student coming to the University of Edinburgh starting next week for a year of exchange programme. I would like to ask how appointments for sexual health matters work in Edinburgh.

More specifically, I have a couple issues I would like to discuss with a gynecologist (though none of them involve urgent symptoms or anything, more like concerns with my nexplanon implant), and I would also like to have a complete health screening down there. As in, not only an std test, but also for thrush, a check-up of whether the good bacteria are doing okay, and an estrogen level test. I also need a booster shot for a hepatitis B vaccine.

I have no idea who I should turn towards to proceed with all that, should I register with a GP first? Go to a clinic?

Thank you for your kind help
    GUM clinic or GP most can be done at the first one and faster some you may have to visit GP for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.