Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    www.imperialinvestmentclub.com - says it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member of Alternative Music Society and recommend that, and I'm president of Rock Society (which is really metal/industrial/similar society) and I'd love you to join that too, if you like that kind of music!

I'm a member of Cheese, I think, but I don't really like cheese, I joined for a joke. Or maybe it was Meat Appreciation Society.

Also Environmental Society, but I don't go to their stuff really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    www.imperialinvestmentclub.com - says it all.
    Strange that it is not listed at The Imperial College Union's website. Might not reach everyone probably interested

(Original post by xaxa)
    I'm a member of Alternative Music Society and recommend that, and I'm president of Rock Society (which is really metal/industrial/similar society) and I'd love you to join that too, if you like that kind of music!
    Rock Society sounds great but Metal/Industrial is not really my kind of music, I'm more in Britpop, Garage, Indie and stuff...

Anyone here with experiences of Swim & Water polo or Model United Nations?

ReputationRep:
    The investment club isn't run by Imperial College Union, its run by Tanaka Business School.

TBS thinks its a law unto itself and can do what it likes, which seems to include screwing over the rest of the college/the union as often as it can...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverfox)
    I'm more in Britpop, Garage, Indie and stuff...
    You should join AMS (Alternative Music Society) then, you'll see me at their meetings/events quite often :-). There's some mixes up on http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/ams/ (but only from 2 people, there's more range of music covered than they would suggest).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashley.brown)
    The investment club isn't run by Imperial College Union, its run by Tanaka Business School.

TBS thinks its a law unto itself and can do what it likes, which seems to include screwing over the rest of the college/the union as often as it can...
    Can you elaborate please?

ok, one word of advice...dont just sign up to loads (like 10+) because u (by u, i mean Myself last year) will hardly go to any of them (by hardly i mean not even one event) which u (me) should! plus u will get a trash-load of junk that will just piss u off every time u check ur inbox..

although i did get quite a lot of useless freebies..

ReputationRep:
    Well, I actually wanted to keep it at about 5... But what was the reason you didn't go to any of them? Too much workload in your course? The societies too boring? Got too much other leisure activities?

I have no idea how active these societies are and how much time is spent on them...

ReputationRep:
    They vary in how active they are. How much junk you get depends how often you check your email, I check mine at least once a day so I probably don't notice it that much, I suppose if you only check it once a week it might seem a lot.

I've been to Alternative Music events every week (where "event" might just be "let's all go to the same club tonight"), but then I've joined Meat or Cheese or something and been to one meeting.

ReputationRep:
    TONS! I'm never going to have time to study!

ReputationRep:
    i would like to join the tennis one, but i'm not sure the university has any tennis courts in at the south kesington campus..........:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Theres a couple in (next) to Hyde Park.

If I'm not mistaken, the IC tennis club train and play games at Queens Tennis Club.

ReputationRep:
    I've joined:
    - Rocksoc
    - Alternative Music
    - Environmental
    - Linux Users
    (via the shop on http://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/ -- I have to join Rocksoc before the start of term so I did everything at once to save the Union on credit card processing costs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashley.brown)

That is totally wrong. The investment club is a subset of the finance society which itself is part of the union, and also sponsors the union. IMO the union screws students for as much money as they can whilst offering as little as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, Finance Society don't have their finances online (strange...).

IMO the Union doesn't screw students for money. So there!

ReputationRep:
    What? There is a CHEESE society? As in we sit around and worship cheese? I am IN!!!

ReputationRep:
    join ArtSoc where you can cheap tickets to most west-end musicals, concerts and plays!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euanovsky)
    join ArtSoc where you can cheap tickets to most west-end musicals, concerts and plays!
    I think I might join that - I guess that there isn't much commitment time-wise (apart from that spent at the theatre).
    I'm hoping the dance society is good, and am also interested by the buddhist society.

ReputationRep:
    First thing is to launch myself into ABACUS society, then maybe something more academic like physics/finance related.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.