Turn on thread page Beta

Differences between iPhone 6S and 7? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

What're the differences between the 6S and 7?

I currently have a 5S (16GB) and need an upgrade as its quite worn down (3yr+), battery is dying, and the storage space is disgustingly small. It's still in good condition but I will probably shelf it as a backup.

The 6S is something like £450 used and the 7 around £700. I am leaning more towards the 6S as it has a headphone jack (I own a very expensive pair of RHA T20s that I would want to keep using) and I can't see any real upgrades on the 7.

I will also probably get an Apple Watch as they're so slick and good for fitness things (like measuring heart rate during HIIT) or checking emails on the fly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Hey guys

I currently have a 5S (16GB) and need an upgrade as its quite worn down (3yr+), battery is dying, and the storage space is disgustingly small. It's still in good condition but I will probably shelf it as a backup.

The 6S is something like £450 used and the 7 around £700. I am leaning more towards the 6S as it has a headphone jack (I own a very expensive pair of RHA T20s that I would want to keep using) and I can't see any real upgrades on the 7.

I will also probably get an Apple Watch as they're so slick and good for fitness things (like measuring heart rate during HIIT) or checking emails on the fly.
    It is water resistant and has no headphone jack to make way for stereo speakers. But if you do opt for the iPhone 7 you will likely need to fork out £159 for a pair of new wireless headphones if you lose them, which is highly likely because they are super tiny and because Apple says so. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    It is water resistant and has no headphone jack to make way for stereo speakers. But if you do opt for the iPhone 7 you will likely need to fork out £159 for a pair of new wireless headphones if you lose them, which is highly likely because they are super tiny and because Apple says so. :p:
    There will obviously be new wireless headphones being released.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There will obviously be new wireless headphones being released.
    I wonder how long that is going to take, until you do lose those tiny expensive headphones?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

you're better off getting a 6s imo. the 7 is only really worth it if you really want a better camera and waterproofing (and don't care about the headphone jack)

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how long that is going to take, until you do lose those tiny expensive headphones?
    The point being I wouldn't get them as I'd wait for a new model to be released. I mean really man, since when do something as common as earpods not have other models?... Bose, Jaybirds or a good company will take a shot and produce a pair.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a 6s

ReputationRep:
    The point being I wouldn't get them as I'd wait for a new model to be released. I mean really man, since when do something as common as earpods not have other models?... Bose, Jaybirds or a good company will take a shot and produce a pair.
    Essentially the 7 has a better camera is waterproof.
    But the key thing is the internal specs have been upgraded, as for headphones they do supply a converter

ReputationRep:
    Apple are providing a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter for people to use their old headphones with, however, it then represents another problem whereby you can't charge the phone and listen to music at the same time.

Big backwards step. Get the iPhone 6S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Apple are providing a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter for people to use their old headphones with, however, it then represents another problem whereby you can't charge the phone and listen to music at the same time.

Yeah it seems that way. What's a good cheap price for the used iphone 6s 128/64gb? Like I've never bought a used one before and always go new but I don't buy contracts so I figure I may as well save some cash.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it seems that way. What's a good cheap price for the used iphone 6s 128/64gb? Like I've never bought a used one before and always go new but I don't buy contracts so I figure I may as well save some cash.
    I couldn't but the iPhone 7 because of that very reason - for example, what about if your battery is low and you need to listen to music whilst charging? The battery life in phones aren't great at the moment, and streaming media can make the battery run out very quickly, so charging and listening to music can come in very handy at times. With the iPhone 7, I'd have to choose to either have no music, or risk the battery running out.

As for a used iPhone 6S, I wouldn't know as I don't really buy used phones. I went new with my Galaxy S4 back when I got it in 2014. Also, I'd expect the price to be quite high because the 6S is still the latest iPhone model (until the 7 comes out to general sale, though the 7 will be £600, I think) so there won't be that many used ones out there - plus 64GB or 128GB would be more expensive as the base model was 16GB? Looking on Gumtree the iPhone 6S at 64GB seems to be around the £400 - £450 mark, and slightly more for the 6S Plus. They seem to be around the same price on eBay too.
    Don't know about anywhere else.

I don't go into big long 24 month contracts either; I tend to go SIM Only and then buy the phone outright, as it gives more choice of phones, saves money as well (especially if you keep it for more than 2 years) and SIM Only tariffs are cheaper (with possibly more data too, depending on the network).

Hope that helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

No I don't need to as I already have the [iPhone] 6. Also I've switched to Android because Apple is slowly catching up with their 'innovative' designs.

ReputationRep:
    Pros of iPhone 7:

Water/dust resistant
    New home button (although I personally don't like the new haptic feedback home button...)
    Slightly better screen (brighter and greater range of colours)
    New quad core A10 processor - 40-50% faster than iPhone 6S (which is very fast as it is)
    Improved camera: optical image stabiliser; smaller f1.8 aperture; 7mp front camera (up from 5mp)
    Slightly better battery life
    2x storage at each level (entry level now starts at 32GB, as opposed to 16GB - but I think this is true for the 6S too)
    Stereo speakers

Cons of iPhone 7:

No headphone jack (EarPods are expensive and look terrible) - but does come with a free lightning adaptor
    Essentially same design as 6S
    £250 more expensive than 6S

Conclusion:

Get the 6S unless you have money to blow, the improvements to the 7 don't merit a £250 premium on the 6S imo.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome to the world of fashion victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Welcome to the world of fashion victims.
    I'm an iOS dev you freak. It's called profit.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

What if you lose those tiny Airpods? People will have to fork out £160 for a replacement pair.

ReputationRep:
    What if you lose those tiny Airpods? People will have to fork out £160 for a replacement pair.
    More to the point, what happens if someone decides to steal your wireless Airpods?

I was willing to try out the Airpods (don't know about them working in non Apple devices though, and I don't have any Apple devices) but certainly not for £159!
    I can get much better quality Bluetooth headphones, that won't get lost, for about a 1/3rd of the price!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    More to the point, what happens if someone decides to steal your wireless Airpods?

I was willing to try out the Airpods (don't know about them working in non Apple devices though, and I don't have any Apple devices) but certainly not for £159!
    I can get much better quality Bluetooth headphones, that won't get lost, for about a 1/3rd of the price!
    Ahh..but will third party wireless headphones work with iPhone 7? Thats why everyone is worried.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh..but will third party wireless headphones work with iPhone 7? Thats why everyone is worried.
    If it has Bluetooth (which all major phones have) then ordinary bluetooth headphones will work.

I wouldn't get the iPhone 7 anyway because Apple is not forcing me to go Bluetooth in order for me to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time. (Actually, I won't go with any phone without a 3.5mm port.)

What a lot of people don't understand is you don't need to use the Airpods.

The headphones that come with the iPhone 7 are WIRED lightning connector headphones. Basically the same as the iPhone 5 onwards but with a lightening connector.

Those that lose the Airpods would have already spent £159 to buy them in the first place, so quite rightly would need to pay the £159 again.

Name:  sjncsdj.png
Views: 145
Size:  37.8 KB

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.