Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a year 13 student hoping to apply to SOAS to study Chinese & Korean, however I was wondering what my chances are like and whether I should have hope.

The entry requirements are AAB-ABB, I got BBC in my AS levels and am about to sit my History mock in which I hope to get an A or a B.

I am very passionate about these languages and have read lots and have connected with the cultures in many ways.

I did an EPQ on modern Chinese history and am currently self-studying Korean, I'm determined to get my A level grades as high as possible because I know that I didn't work as hard as I should have for my AS'.

Do I have a chance of getting into SOAS? I've been there twice and have fallen in love with it - the campus, the atmosphere, the people...

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out, sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I don't know specifically about SOAS (I hear it's quite competitive though?) but it should be perfectly possible for you to end up with AAB in your A2 grades if you do well. Obviously the Korean will also look good on your personal statement, which will improve your chances. Ultimately, though, it depends on what the competition is like the year that you apply.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend writing an excellent personal statement showcasing your growing interest and abilities as this would make up for the shortfall in grades. If you read your personal statement and think "Wow if i was a lecturer and had to fill my class with students, i would want this guy" then you should get into SOAS as it is a university that pays more attention to the application as a whole rather than just grades. So remember to show potential in your personal statement. Although aim for atleast one A and no more than 1 C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFK1711)
    Hi everyone,

I'm a year 13 student hoping to apply to SOAS to study Chinese & Korean, however I was wondering what my chances are like and whether I should have hope.

The entry requirements are AAB-ABB, I got BBC in my AS levels and am about to sit my History mock in which I hope to get an A or a B.

I am very passionate about these languages and have read lots and have connected with the cultures in many ways.

I did an EPQ on modern Chinese history and am currently self-studying Korean, I'm determined to get my A level grades as high as possible because I know that I didn't work as hard as I should have for my AS'.

Do I have a chance of getting into SOAS? I've been there twice and have fallen in love with it - the campus, the atmosphere, the people...

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out, sorry for the long post
    There is always hope!
    Im about to start uni soon and from my own personal experience i can tell you it is possible!
    I applied for a different course (law) and they gave me an offer (it was A*AA even though my actual grades were BBBCC at AS )
    The most important thing is to make sure your personal statement is strong and coherent.
    You need to illustrate your interest for the subject and how it influences you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.