Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: How to beat homesickness when you start uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Our latest advice on beating homesickness :H http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-you-start-uni

Anyone got any other tips?

:banana2:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    A danger is to sign up / pay for stuff you end up not doing :lol: so take advantage of events for societies, and don't commit anything unless you need to. But definitely try out a lot of stuff to find a few things that you'd like, keeps you busy. The worst thing to do is to just stay in your room for the week watching Orange Is The New Black :erm:

Post one is nice as well, my mum sent me some waffles in the post made me feel slightly homesick but this was in second year so..

And it's also worth mentioning that yeah, 'a lot' (sorry for the lack of quantifying / sounding vague / perhaps making assumptions) of people'll feel like this and it should usually subside over time after varying periods of time (a bit like a break up I suppose :lol:) but not everyone does and that's okay. That's when you speak to different people, parents, tutors, services at the uni... and try to figure out the root of the issue before taking any action.

ReputationRep:
    For God's sake force yourself to go out, even if you don't feel like it. I held back and decided I would 'ease' myself in and I've always regretted it, because I missed my chance to get into societies and things early on. I did make friends but I think I would have had a much wider circle if I'd put myself out there from day 1.

I learnt from this and on my year abroad, although I felt the same (homesick, nervous, not wanting to go out) I forced myself to and enjoyed the year so much because of it.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely despise being at home. I even despise being in my home country. If I attend university abroad, when I come home for the holidays, I'll be uni-sick!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the title had said, 'how to beat the homeless at uni', I had very different expectations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.