Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & hope someone might have some information for me. We're a UK based British family with a son studying for GCSEs. After GCSE he wants to study in the States (he's been offered a place) but he is anxious that he might struggle to get in to a UK uni on his return. Does anyone have any experience of this? I know we're approaching this quite early but if he is going to accept the US offer for September 2017 we need to get our ducks in a row. If it helps he is a music scholar and is interested in music and theatre arts..... Thanks in advance for any advice or info!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by pippafk)
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & hope someone might have some information for me. We're a UK based British family with a son studying for GCSEs. After GCSE he wants to study in the States (he's been offered a place) but he is anxious that he might struggle to get in to a UK uni on his return. Does anyone have any experience of this? I know we're approaching this quite early but if he is going to accept the US offer for September 2017 we need to get our ducks in a row. If it helps he is a music scholar and is interested in music and theatre arts..... Thanks in advance for any advice or info!
    Universities are used to accepting students with US qualifications. Check the specific entry requirements for some courses your son might be interested in.

e.g. (picking at random) Music Tech at Surrey - asking ABB for A-levels
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduat...sic-technology

They then give you a table to compare the ABB requirement with equivalent US qualifications
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/north-americ...#qualification

AP: 544
    SAT: 1800 in three SAT Reasoning Tests (combined) and 650 in three SAT Subject Tests (each)
    SAT & AP: 650 in two SAT Subject Tests (each) and 54 in two AP subjects
    ACT: 28

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the swift reply & will look in to it.

Kind regards, Pippa

(Original post by jneill)
    Universities are used to accepting students with US qualifications. Check the specific entry requirements for some courses your son might be interested in.

e.g. (picking at random) Music Tech at Surrey - asking ABB for A-levels
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduat...sic-technology

They then give you a table to compare the ABB requirement with equivalent US qualifications
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/north-americ...#qualification

AP: 544
    SAT: 1800 in three SAT Reasoning Tests (combined) and 650 in three SAT Subject Tests (each)
    SAT & AP: 650 in two SAT Subject Tests (each) and 54 in two AP subjects
    ACT: 28
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Fantastic. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the swift reply & will look in to it.

Kind regards, Pippa
    It's definitely worth researching this carefully. But keep in mind entry requirements can change from year to year. And it might be worth double-checking with the admissions department at a few universities to be sure.

And, just off the top of my head, it's important he retains his Home (UK) status for university fees purposes. International fees at UK universities are very high.

Good luck to him (and you!)

ReputationRep:

Kind regards, Pippa
    Hi Pippa, are you related to Kate by any chance??

ReputationRep:
    Um, no... I have no relation called Kate!

(Original post by john2054)
    Hi Pippa, are you related to Kate by any chance??

ReputationRep:
    Um, no... I have no relation called Kate!
    Never mind, is your son going by himself, it will be quite a big move. I have done some moocs with u.s. universities, which were of a high standard. But i have also had feedbadk from some of my uni friends, that it is quite easy to do well at a us university, given the right work ethic. she did the erasamus there for a year.

ReputationRep:
    To emphasise the point jneill made about eligibility for home fees - I strongly advise you to check with SFE what would apply in your son's specific circumstances, if he takes up this place. You don't want to find yourself looking at huge fees and no loan entitlement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.