Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I just turned 19 this past July and had secured a place at university which would have involved me moving away. Sadly though, down to health issues I was unable to and am now taking a year break to become fit again.

I'm just wondering if when it comes to applying to university later this year, do universities allow older students to move into halls or other student accommodation, taking into consideration that I'll be 20 when I start university. I only ask this as I only ever hear about school leavers and other young people moving away to university.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    20 is absolutely fine, I don't think that's even old enough to be classed as a mature student. You'll be treated like every other fresher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    20 is absolutely fine, I don't think that's even old enough to be classed as a mature student. You'll be treated like every other fresher.
    ^^This, man.

20 is nothing. One of my (student accommodation) flatmates was 30!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrichardsonn)
    Hello

I just turned 19 this past July and had secured a place at university which would have involved me moving away. Sadly though, down to health issues I was unable to and am now taking a year break to become fit again.

I'm just wondering if when it comes to applying to university later this year, do universities allow older students to move into halls or other student accommodation, taking into consideration that I'll be 20 when I start university. I only ask this as I only ever hear about school leavers and other young people moving away to university.

Thanks
    At 20 you are most definitley classed as a young person. Those who are mature students (officially 21 yrs +) tend not to move away due to ties with a particular area.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's awesome to know. When it comes to housing people together, is it common for them to mix up the ages of people staying in one flat?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello

Thanks
    Hello ,

Twenty is absolutely fine, as someone else has stated, twenty isn't even old enough to be classed as a mature student. In my halls there was people that were every age between 20 and 30 pretty much! You'll be absolutely fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and I hope you feel better and are on the mend soon.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im 20 and moving away to start University next week, also living in halls. When i first applied i thought i was going to be so out of place but ive met loads of 20-26 year olds moving into halls as well. My flat is in the party central block within the university, and has 10 rooms, and were all aged 19-21, which is very accommodating of the uni really. Youll be absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    Twenty......TWENTY?!?!?!?

Every thread in these questions is "Am I too old for uni at 20?" "Is 300 enough to live on per week?" "Is my penis too big?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbblitz)
    Twenty......TWENTY?!?!?!?

Every thread in these questions is "Am I too old for uni at 20?" "Is 300 enough to live on per week?" "Is my penis too big?".
    THIS^ 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 dying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's awesome to know. When it comes to housing people together, is it common for them to mix up the ages of people staying in one flat?
    you'll usually be with people at the same stage of uni (so first year, final year, postgrad etc) rather than numerical age

20 won't even be noticed, plenty of people start at 19-20 because of a gap year or switching course etc

ReputationRep:
    I lived in halls at 22/23, and another girl I lived with was only a year younger than me. Our other three flatmates were 18.

ReputationRep:
    20 is young there isn't much difference between that and 18/19.

I was 22 nearly 23 when I went to uni second time round. I stayed in normal halls but I do remember writing somewhere that I'd rather be placed with either people on the same course or people slightly older - so I ended up with a mixture of similar course people who had all had gap years (bar one). At no point was my age ever an issue, I made great friends and now the age gap is insignificant.*

ReputationRep:
    Dw about it; I know someone who is in her mid-fifties in Uni! And she just sort of laughs at what other ppl call "mature students", bc she could easily be their mum!
    And honestly, I don't think ppl are gonna make a huge deal out of it. Mebbe they'll think about it for half a minute the first time you tell them. But after that, it'll just be normal.

ReputationRep:
    20 is nothing, I'm 20 and just starting this year. My mate is 21 and is starting uni this year too. You'll meet students of all ages. There's plenty of people aged 20-30. There's not that many over 30 but you might still meet a couple. Some go to uni aged 45

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni, some are quite strict and have all 18 year olds, then all gap year students, then 20+, 25+, postgrads, and staff. Most will just do something like undergrads, older undergrads, and postgrads

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting this year and i'm 22 I think you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I attend lectures with people well in their 40s and others in my course who are 23-26!! you will be fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.