Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I let my dad sway me away from what I want to do at college? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My dad always thinks that every course I talk about is rubbish and won't get me a job or there is no way I would pass it he always tries to sway me in to IT but I don't think courses heavy in IT are really for me anymore after getting a A in exam and a E in coursework to give me a D.

Anyway just needing to know because I gotta go for a meeting at my local college to discuss courses after my schools 6th form rejected me for only having 4 GCSE's at C grade when they need 5 A* - C to accept me.

ReputationRep:
    Now my 56 year old dad is trying to push me in to apprenticeships :/

ReputationRep:
    how can we give advice without knowing both sides.. You have said what he wants you to do (IT and aprentiships) but what do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    No!

trust me, you will regret it one day if you do

ReputationRep:
    NO

dont do an apprenticeship either

improve ur gcse grades

ReputationRep:
    I can kind of relate. I want to apply for Computer Science at university, but my Dad is forcing me to apply for Medicine as well, despite me really not wanting to study it. I have to split my personal statement, and give up applying to certain universities. Quite depressed, as I was aiming for the best uni's.
    I think first of all you should really search out what you ultimately want to wind up doing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    My dad always thinks that every course I talk about is rubbish and won't get me a job or there is no way I would pass it he always tries to sway me in to IT but I don't think courses heavy in IT are really for me anymore after getting a A in exam and a E in coursework to give me a D.

Anyway just needing to know because I gotta go for a meeting at my local college to discuss courses after my schools 6th form rejected me for only having 4 GCSE's at C grade when they need 5 A* - C to accept me.
    Why not fo and get some proper careers advice.

1. Figure out what you are good at and your likely potential.
    2. Figure out whether you would suit an apprenticeship or BTEC or A levels.
    3. Figure out what area you would like to work in or job you might like to do.

Join the dots between each of them on either how to get to 3 or where 1 followed by 2 could lead you.

Your exams results might not have been as you hoped, but tbh did you work hard enough? You can always resit them if you are prepared to study enough to pass. If you arent prepared to do that, then you will have to look at other approaches and areas. open yourself an account on national careers and explore the possible options.

You sound like one of those people who never really got their act together at school, didnt perform well and just ended up drifting into areas without direction, a and then in ten years time regrest they didnt try harder or didnt find out an area of work they would have really liked. Dont drift. take responsibiliyu for your furture and make the effort to go in a direction you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Your life so you choose. What do you want to to do and enjoy? No point signing up for something which you might end up dropping out of ? Have a good think before you commit. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You still havent told us what you want to do?

I am not sure how some of the first posters can be so adamant that yous hould follow your own ideas, without knowing what they are.. for all we know your plan could be ****ing stupid, making your dads ideas the best choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.