What does +44 in a mobile number mean? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's

+44 and 7 digits, anyone know?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    that it's a UK number, i think

ReputationRep:
    +44 is the same as 0044 used when calling international numbers. Texts often do it, its just saying its a mobile number in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Only 7 digits?That's odd

ReputationRep:
    +44 is the equivalent of 07, i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    +44 is the equivalent of 07, i think
    I'm not sure what you mean? If you were writing out a phone number you only drop the '0'

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's the equivilant of 0 if you are in the UK.

e.g. +447979 instead of 07979

ReputationRep:
    +44 is the international way of telling that the number is from the United Kingdom. similarly +1 is the international code for the United States.

I.E.

+4420222143 = 020 222 143

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    basically its the international dialing code for the uk. so say ones number is 07712341234 or whatever if u were to call this from usa you'd dial 00447712341234

ReputationRep:
    It's the UK dialling code Oh, and allegedly, if you use +44 it actually sometimes works out slightly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gareth-Lee Smith)
    I'm not sure what you mean? If you were writing out a phone number you only drop the '0'
    oh yeah. oops. read cortez's post.

i keep writing i think at the end - cos i've never been abroad - so i've never had to make international calls to the UK- otherwise i would have been certain

ReputationRep:
    an just FYI, 0044 and +44 are the same thing - the + simply replaces the 00

ReputationRep:
    The point of it is that if you put your phone numbers into a mobile phone address book, you can use them from outside the UK.

So if you put in +44207..., it'll work when you are roaming abroad, but if you put in 0207... you'd have to redial it.

ReputationRep:
    7 digits? hmmm.

SMAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    an just FYI, 0044 and +44 are the same thing - the + simply replaces the 00
    Or rather the + means to insert the international dialing code. For most of Europe this is 00, but for other countries this can be different. America uses 011 for example.

ReputationRep:
    For those that care, http://www.kropla.com/dialcode.htm has a comprehensive list for the world, including area codes inside countries.

ReputationRep:
    +44 is the international code for the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anthropologist)
    +44 is the international code for the UK.
    Thanks for that! We discovered that 4 days ago, but your reiteration just made it so much clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Thanks for that! We discovered that 4 days ago, but your reiteration just made it so much clearer.
    No problem, glad i could be of some help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Oh, and allegedly, if you use +44 it actually sometimes works out slightly cheaper.
    I don't believe it.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.