The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

that it's a UK number, i think
Reply 2
+44 is the same as 0044 used when calling international numbers. Texts often do it, its just saying its a mobile number in the UK.
Only 7 digits?That's odd
+44 is the equivalent of 07, i think
hermaphrodite
+44 is the equivalent of 07, i think

I'm not sure what you mean? If you were writing out a phone number you only drop the '0'
Reply 6
Nah it's the equivilant of 0 if you are in the UK.

e.g. +447979 instead of 07979
Reply 7
+44 is the international way of telling that the number is from the United Kingdom. similarly +1 is the international code for the United States.

I.E.

+4420222143 = 020 222 143

Cheers!
Reply 8
basically its the international dialing code for the uk. so say ones number is 07712341234 or whatever if u were to call this from usa you'd dial 00447712341234
Reply 9
It's the UK dialling code :smile: Oh, and allegedly, if you use +44 it actually sometimes works out slightly cheaper.
Gareth-Lee Smith
I'm not sure what you mean? If you were writing out a phone number you only drop the '0'

oh yeah. oops. read cortez's post.

i keep writing i think at the end - cos i've never been abroad - so i've never had to make international calls to the UK- otherwise i would have been certain
an just FYI, 0044 and +44 are the same thing - the + simply replaces the 00
The point of it is that if you put your phone numbers into a mobile phone address book, you can use them from outside the UK.

So if you put in +44207..., it'll work when you are roaming abroad, but if you put in 0207... you'd have to redial it.
Reply 13
7 digits? hmmm.

SMAP.
olileauk
an just FYI, 0044 and +44 are the same thing - the + simply replaces the 00

Or rather the + means to insert the international dialing code. For most of Europe this is 00, but for other countries this can be different. America uses 011 for example.
For those that care, http://www.kropla.com/dialcode.htm has a comprehensive list for the world, including area codes inside countries.
+44 is the international code for the UK.
Reply 17
The Anthropologist
+44 is the international code for the UK.

Thanks for that! We discovered that 4 days ago, but your reiteration just made it so much clearer.
Ghost
Thanks for that! We discovered that 4 days ago, but your reiteration just made it so much clearer.

No problem, glad i could be of some help :smile:
Dionysus
Oh, and allegedly, if you use +44 it actually sometimes works out slightly cheaper.

I don't believe it.