Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting uni in just over a week and am staying in halls. I live a 40 min train ride away so commuting is an option. I am already considering the financial issues as this year I have been given the full maintainance loan and I'm sure this would be the same for each year if I stayed at uni. So my family and I agree that I should live away for first year to gain skills and have more social time as first year is the best time for social stuff, but then commute from second year. Has anyone else done this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryling1997)
    I'm starting uni in just over a week and am staying in halls. I live a 40 min train ride away so commuting is an option. I am already considering the financial issues as this year I have been given the full maintainance loan and I'm sure this would be the same for each year if I stayed at uni. So my family and I agree that I should live away for first year to gain skills and have more social time as first year is the best time for social stuff, but then commute from second year. Has anyone else done this?
    It's more common than you think! I'm probably planning on doing this too and I have loads of friends at other unis who are too.
    2 of my cousins who also went to uni did it and they did great so I don't see why it's a problem, as long as you spend your first year in halls you won't miss out imo

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.