Turn on thread page Beta

Where to get work shirts,tie and trousers from? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am from London, looking to spend

2 Shirts at £25
    Trousers at £30
    Tie - 20, I have no idea how much they cost

Thinking of getting a suit, but I think they cost at least £150.

Anyone know what shops are good? I heard of Hawes and Curtis, I don't think they sell trousers.

I was wondering what colours and styles are good? Not sure about getting stripes tho.

Are there any good offers at Selfridges or Harrods? Am I spending too little?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Harrods? That's a bit on the pricey side lol. Go to Burtons or Moss Bros. You can pick up a perfectly adequate suit for about £100. I had 2 for college.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to be pretty pushed for price trying to get two shirts for £25. You can get two decent shirts from NEXT for circa £40.

Trousers for £30 seems reasonable but you'd be better off buying the whole suit together. NEXT, Debenhams, M&S do good suits that aren't too pricey. Most ties costs around £10 but you could probably get a pack of two for £15 - look around.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    look through the sales sections now,you'll find some good stuff

ReputationRep:
    House of Hannover. Round the corner from the apple store. Lots of discounted items, shirts for £10, ties for £10 ( there are more I just cannot remember them). Half price Gucci, Stone Island. Lots of nice stuff. Go have a look.

ReputationRep:
    M&S, Debenhams, Moss Bros, Burtons... all good for suits/ties/shirts. Why bother with Harrods? It's overpriced and pointless anyway!

ReputationRep:
    NEXT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimez)
    You're going to be pretty pushed for price trying to get two shirts for £25. You can get two decent shirts from NEXT for circa £40.

Trousers for £30 seems reasonable but you'd be better off buying the whole suit together. NEXT, Debenhams, M&S do good suits that aren't too pricey. Most ties costs around £10 but you could probably get a pack of two for £15 - look around.
    I mean 2 shirts at £25 each so £50 for two, I think location wise, Oxford Street is best?

ReputationRep:
    Slaters, can't recommend them highly enough.
    Very professional, superb suits/shirts/ties, great service and prices about 40% less than you'd think.
    Got most of my kit there, and as I spend half of my time in various Officers' Mess' in the RAF it's good to have decent clobber.
    Nearest to you would be Crawley.

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ this thread. Bless him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collegegurl)
    NEXT
    Yeah I get nearly all my work stuff from there!

Shirts tend to be £20, ties £15 but not sure about trousers as I don't buy them on their own. (prices might be higher in London though).

You can get suits under £150 in there too (again, I'm going by prices down my way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    I mean 2 shirts at £25 each so £50 for two, I think location wise, Oxford Street is best?
    I've just got some shirts from TM Lewin, who have a sale on at the moment with all shirts at £25 each (though I think the sale ends very soon). I don't know where they have stores in London, but you can buy from their website, http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/, or see if there's a store locator there.

ReputationRep:
    Savoy taylors in Cheapside, just before St Pauls. They have some good deals and have some quality shirts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    I am from London, looking to spend

2 Shirts at £25
    Trousers at £30
    Tie - 20, I have no idea how much they cost

Its a sales job, so I think I need to look good

Thinking of getting a suit, but I think they cost at least £150.

Anyone know what shops are good? I heard of Hawes and Curtis, I don't think they sell trousers.

I was wondering what colours and styles are good? Not sure about getting stripes tho.

Are there any good offers at Selfridges or Harrods? Am I spending too little?

Thanks
    Sorru, but you're not going to look "good" in a 30 quid pair of strides. Nobody is. And where are you going to get a suit for 150 quid - Primark? Cheap suits are great if you want to look like a Romanian gypsy.

ReputationRep:
    Howard you snob some people cannot afford £1000 suits and you would look ridiculous working in somewhere like next wearing a Hugo Boss suit. So stop being such a snob I am not a snob and will be far more successful in life than a fool like you who has near 24000 posts get a life man

ReputationRep:
    Umm Maybe Howard you cannot look good in anything and have to buy
    Gargantuanly expensive things to drag peoples attention away from you and Looking upon your possessions. Shows how great you are calling students Young and looking to do well you are nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegman!)
    Umm Maybe Howard you cannot look good in anything and have to buy
    Gargantuanly expensive things to drag peoples attention away from you and Looking upon your possessions. Shows how great you are calling students Young and looking to do well you are nothing!
    I don't personally wear suits. I think I've still got one somewhere but its unlikely to have been very expensive. I don't buy expensive things generally.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA how badly are you contridicting yourself why would you buy a cheap suit if you don't think they look good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegman!)
    HAHA how badly are you contridicting yourself why would you buy a cheap suit if you don't think they look good
    Because I don't need to "look good" - I only wear suits for weddings and things - I don't need to dress up like a manequin to go to work. Why spend a lot of money on something I'm rarely going to use? I also wear $17 wristwatches from WallMart. Perfectly adequate for my needs.

ReputationRep:
    Loser there is not buying really expensive things and there is just plain cheap. You must have little self pride if you do not care what you look like.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.