Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Excuse the horrible Clash reference in the title)

The admission rates for the stream are nominal, and I get the feeling that a great number of its (successful) applicants are those who have had career experience after university.

So, I would be applying (currently entering my third year) with:

- A 1st in politics

- Three months experience spent co-authoring fourteen country analyses, for use by the Department for International Development, while interning at a development organisation

- Experience as an editor for an undergraduate journal

- A year spent as a private tutor, in my spare time

- A year working weekends in retail (...)

I have a deferred place secured for Teach First, which apparently I can synthesise with the CCFS via deferment of the latter. Should I apply now or wait until I have two years of real-world work to my name?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people I know on fast stream failed at their first attempt. I'm told the application process is a pain and it could be that experience of the process might help.*

If you apply early you can apply twice. I'd suggest doing this.* *

Summer internship helps. Try a building other than Charles street though if you go again. You'll get a much better feel for how government works from outside their palace.*

ReputationRep:
    As said above, it's worth applying - don't not apply because you're scared you won't get it, if anything it's worth it just for the experience of the application process which will give you more confidence the second time round. The Civil Service is all about being competency based - so it's not actually very relevant whether you've got 3+ years experience in politics or whatever - as long as you can demonstrate the competencies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just a Bloke)

The admission rates for the stream are nominal, and I get the feeling that a great number of its (successful) applicants are those who have had career experience after university.

- A 1st in politics

- Three months experience spent co-authoring twelve country analyses, for use by the Department for International Development, while interning at a development organisation

I have a deferred place secured for Teach First, which apparently I can synthesise with the CCFS via deferment of the latter. Should I apply now or wait until I have two years of real-world work to my name?
    I agree with those saying you might as well go for it now- its not a relative lack of work experience which catches people out, its the application process itself. You have several tests you have to pass before you even get to interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I agree with those saying you might as well go for it now- its not a relative lack of work experience which catches people out, its the application process itself. You have several tests you have to pass before you even get to interview.
    I 'suffer', as in my handwriting has the structural integrity of a soggy tissue, from dyspraxia. As a result I apparently get to skip the maths and numeracy tests. You're correct, regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I 'suffer', as in my handwriting has the structural integrity of a soggy tissue, from dyspraxia. As a result I apparently get to skip the maths and numeracy tests. You're correct, regardless.
    Oh snap, fellow dyspraxic here. Yes you get to skip the verbal and numerical tests but you still have to take the competency questionare and situational judgement test, then if you pass that the etray, before you get to any kind of interview, assuming they haven't changed the tests this year. With the etray you do have more time than you might think. I saw the countdown clock ticking away and panicked and rushed my way through the questions and did hopelessly. According to the dyspraxia foundation website that is a typical dyspraxic thing to do due to our not so great time management skills.

ReputationRep:

- A 1st in politics

- Three months experience spent co-authoring twelve country analyses, for use by the Department for International Development, while interning at a development organisation

Which stream are you interested in? Have you thought about applying for other civil service/government jobs if that's where you want to end up? CCFS is great but it's not the be all and end all - there are other ways in, depending on which profession/area interests you

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't feel that it's not worth applying because of a lack of 'real world' experience. The Fast Stream is a notoriously difficult programme to get on to, but it is possible. I got onto the FS without any real job experience whatsoever (besides some voluntary work in a school/nursery).

There's a whole variety of different types of assessment - group tasks, leadership exercises, written tasks, e-tray, etc etc etc. The interviews are competency-based, but the competencies don't have to come from your work experience, they can come from any area of your life. They're not expecting you to have lots of experience already, they're looking for evidence that you have the potential to develop and succeed there.

ReputationRep:
    I found the application long but easy enough. I ended up not taking the interview because I was accepted on to a PhD. I'm planning on reapplying post-PhD (if I don't decide on academia) and I'm sure experiencing the tests and process will help me.

They were very accomodating of my dyspraxia as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.