Turn on thread page Beta

Monitor or TV? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I need to buy a monitor or a TV as I am moving to University in a few days, and the TV I currently use (50") won't fit obviously. I'm not a techxpert so would anybody be able to advise me on what to get?

I would be using the monitor/tv to connect to my PS4, and I have a budget of around £130-£140. I am aware that there is Curved ones on the market within that price, are they worth it? Really unsure what to look for, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Euan.

ReputationRep:
    Monitor is going to be your safest bet
    As a general rule, TV's have worse input lag, worse refresh rate and worse picture quality than a monitor of the same size.

You'd also probably be getting better performance for your money with a non-curved screen, than a curved one

I know very little about computer monitors, but I'd imagine the criteria you're looking for will be similar to a TV:

High refresh rate (60Hz is the goal. Bearing in mind many TV companies inflate this value and call it something like a "motion rate index" instead. If you see any numbers over 400, it's been inflated)
    Low input lag (You'll have to hunt around the internet for this, because manufacturers never advertise it. Monitors as a whole have low input lag by default)
    1080p resolution, or close to it

ReputationRep:
    I have also just been through the same situation. I bought a 27" curved samsung monitor. I would say a monitor is definitely better than a TV for use with a PC. The pixel density and the refresh rate and the response rate are the persuaders. However I wouldn't sweat it with the curve. It is VERY subtle and my brother didn't even notice it.

ReputationRep:
    Will you want to watch TV in your room?

If it's just gaming and computing then a monitor is the best choice since they tend to be cheaper and have significantly faster response times.

I can recommend the BenQ RL2455hm, which is what I have. It's only £120 and shows off a 1ms response time and 1080p resolution - perfect for console gaming.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I wouldn't be using it to watch TV, would you be able to point me in the direction of any decent models?
    @JLegion I like the idea of the monitor but what am I supposed to do regarding sound since they don't have built-in speakers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanA29)
    Hi there, I wouldn't be using it to watch TV, would you be able to point me in the direction of any decent models?
    @JLegion I like the idea of the monitor but what am I supposed to do regarding sound since they don't have built-in speakers?
    That is true. They do have a headphones socket in the back, which I attach to my speaker system but you can directly plug headphones in - which is what I recommend if you live in close proximity to others. If you plan to talk on PS4 a USB headset isn't a bad investment; though I personally don't advise Turtlebeach headsets.

Alternatively there are plenty of cheap speakers out there; Since £120 is a little under budget. Logitech speakers are good value and easy to set up but you can look at smaller companies (simply an amazon search gives you plenty <£30).

I recommend BenQ monitors for sure, whilst there interface isn't the nicest their value is exceptional. I haven't had much experience with other monitors unfortunately - though my Dad uses iiyama monitors which seem to be great value also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLegion)
    That is true. They do have a headphones socket in the back, which I attach to my speaker system but you can directly plug headphones in - which is what I recommend if you live in close proximity to others. If you plan to talk on PS4 a USB headset isn't a bad investment; though I personally don't advise Turtlebeach headsets.

Alternatively there are plenty of cheap speakers out there; Since £120 is a little under budget. Logitech speakers are good value and easy to set up but you can look at smaller companies (simply an amazon search gives you plenty <£30).

I recommend BenQ monitors for sure, whilst there interface isn't the nicest their value is exceptional. I haven't had much experience with other monitors unfortunately - though my Dad uses iiyama monitors which seem to be great value also.
    Thank you for replying. When at home I have always just used a TV, it makes sense, multi-use and practical, but when you have limited space, you need to change. So the monitor is able to interpret sound from the source, but is just unable to play it, meaning that you are able to plug headphones in? I've had a look around at a few monitors, but I'm not sure what I am looking for, is it okay for me to PM you a few links?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanA29)
    Thank you for replying. When at home I have always just used a TV, it makes sense, multi-use and practical, but when you have limited space, you need to change. So the monitor is able to interpret sound from the source, but is just unable to play it, meaning that you are able to plug headphones in? I've had a look around at a few monitors, but I'm not sure what I am looking for, is it okay for me to PM you a few links?
    Feel free to. I'm not an expert by any means but would gladly lend a hand.

ReputationRep:
    TV, monitor, these are just words for one thing that does the same thing. A TV can be a monitor, a monitor can be a TV, it can be both or just one.

What you do want to get is a 'Full HD' one, and one that has a socket for an HDMI cable. Other than that, that's it really.

Be sure to look in a local Facebook group, people are throwing away monitors/TVs for next to nothing. I got a £1000 42" Plasma for £100, but people are getting rid of their more regular-sized for £15, £30 etc.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.