Lanna99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need to pick books on which I want to write my advanced English dissertation on, I have been toying with the idea of book relating to racism and discrimination where I can analyse the way in which the authors portray the problems that the characters face within society and themselves (identity). A few books that I have been recommended are "The colour Purple" by Alice Walker "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and "To Kill a Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee. I'm not sure if these books or idea is complex enough does anyone have any thoughts as to if they are and if I can write a good dissertation on it. Any help would be very appreciated.
Mohsue123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, we got told that comparing poems did better last year marks wise and they are also better as it would be easier for teachers to track progress. Hope that helps.

But, if you really want to do a book it's better to focus on one and back up with secondary sources as the word count is only 3k and you might struggle tighting it up because doing comparatives were better with the old AH english word count which was 4,000-5,000?
WeekendWrecker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I actually recently had to change my disseration from Lolita and Rebecca to The color purple and To Kill a mocking bird.
I was a bit disappoited having to change my dissertation topic. I also had to chose two books that were easy to read and analyse in a short space
of time (since first drafts are due). I think you could do a lot with The Color Purple and To Kill a Mocking bird; many different angles you could take. But I've always heard poetry is easier to write about, but that isnt an option where i study AH.
vanilla.latte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For my dissertation I'm doing the theme of social class and it's affects on relationships, so I'm reading Jane Eyre, Great Expectations and The Great Gatsby. I wish I had done poems, but my teacher said it was very uncommon and barely ever done in my school so it wasn't recommended

Your topic seems good though!! I am almost certain there's someone in my class doing racism, so I'll see if I can find out what books they've read
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise