Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help, I have a problem in that I don't like other people's noise. watch

At night when I'm going to bed something annoys me but I'm on my own with the problem as it's something which most people do. I can hear tv's in other people's bedrooms and even if they are at a quiet level the noise still annoys me. Throughout the day I also hear a tv wherever I am in the house (no it's not psychosis there's always someone with a to on lol). When I'm in my room my flat mate puts his stereo on while he's doing stuff in his room. The problem is I'm an introvert and hearing background noise drains my energy and kind of interferes with my thinking.

I do like music and will listen my radio in my car on on headphones but I will concentrate on it, the lyrics/story etc I don't like music etc as background noise. I realise that this doesn't happen with other people in fact most people seem to want background noise. It's started to annoy me how people seem to need it though. I'm getting a bit OCD about it. Like when I'm in bed at night and I can hear a tv on a low level in another room it really annoys me even though there's nothing I can do about it, I mean I can't tell the person as I'd be in the wrong. For some reason though the sound of people talking in the background whether from another room/party doesn't bother me that much. It's mainly tv's and stereos for some reason.

When I was a teenager living with parents I would go on about noise and ask my parents to put their headphones on if I was trying to study or sleep upstairs. It caused a lot of arguments with them saying that they can't do anything and that I control everything. So I have to just grin and bear it now. I can't see myself ever changing though. I have a similar problem with neighbours lights shining in my room at night. I just like natural moonlight shining in nothing else but it's just today's world.

Just wanted advice I wish I was like everyone else and that this stuff didn't bother/annoy me. I don't know why I'm like this or if there's anything I can do about it :/

anyone

ReputationRep:
    You have a hypersensitivity to sound probably. It could be caused by an underlying issue but likely it is just a high sensitivity. Don't beat yourself up over it. It is a legit condition and I would suggest going to see your GP about if it is really affecting your day to day life (and even if it isn't).

I have an issue with sound too (though could also be my dodgy hearing haha). I get overwhelemed if I hear too many noises and it can make me very tired. Also, I could hear a tiny object drop in a room full of noise and people talking yet can't actually understand anyone who is talking. That does get very annoying.

Talk to someone, they can help you more than we can

[/SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At night when I'm going to bed something annoys me but I'm on my own with the problem as it's something which most people do. I can hear tv's in other people's bedrooms and even if they are at a quiet level the noise still annoys me. Throughout the day I also hear a tv wherever I am in the house (no it's not psychosis there's always someone with a to on lol). When I'm in my room my flat mate puts his stereo on while he's doing stuff in his room. The problem is I'm an introvert and hearing background noise drains my energy and kind of interferes with my thinking.

I do like music and will listen my radio in my car on on headphones but I will concentrate on it, the lyrics/story etc I don't like music etc as background noise. I realise that this doesn't happen with other people in fact most people seem to want background noise. It's started to annoy me how people seem to need it though. I'm getting a bit OCD about it. Like when I'm in bed at night and I can hear a tv on a low level in another room it really annoys me even though there's nothing I can do about it, I mean I can't tell the person as I'd be in the wrong. For some reason though the sound of people talking in the background whether from another room/party doesn't bother me that much. It's mainly tv's and stereos for some reason.

When I was a teenager living with parents I would go on about noise and ask my parents to put their headphones on if I was trying to study or sleep upstairs. It caused a lot of arguments with them saying that they can't do anything and that I control everything. So I have to just grin and bear it now. I can't see myself ever changing though. I have a similar problem with neighbours lights shining in my room at night. I just like natural moonlight shining in nothing else but it's just today's world.

Just wanted advice I wish I was like everyone else and that this stuff didn't bother/annoy me. I don't know why I'm like this or if there's anything I can do about it :/

We have the same problem.

when i was younger and living with my family i used to complain a lot about my brothers radio next door. Sometimes my parents would make him turn it down, other times they would tell me im being unresonable.

when i was sharing a house in a flatshare there was also some problems with noise as the walls were really thin. I could hear music playing from the house 2 doors away. It really used to piss me off sometimes. I seriously thought about knocking on their door and complaining. Luckily I didn't live there for too long and have sinced moved into a flat by myself.

every evening i can hear the guy next door watching his TV. It pisses me off, but is not at the level where i think the noise police can do anything about it so i haven't complained about it or anything. Luckily I can't really hear it in my bedroom though.

unfortunately with noise, there isn't that much you can do. If it seems unresonable you can ask them to turn it down, but if they don't turn it down enough then really your only option is to put in a complaint with the council and tbh i think most of the time the noise level won't be high enough to be considered a breach of the peace ...and even if it does most people making noise just ignore the warnings and continue with little repercussions.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I feel this way too about noise. I've always been like this, but has only become more noticeable as I have got older. Maybe talk to your GP about it, they can help you or offer you some support.
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    can relate

It often frustrates me when someone is listening to the TV too loudly or if they're playing music out loud (especially if it's rubbish lol), like please headphones have been invented, or if they're speaking loudly on the phone AND it's on loudspeaker. My neighbours also have a light in their garden so my room is never pitch black, which sometimes bothers me too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.