Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to tsr but i thought i'd ask people about their stories about shyness.
    people can vent on here or even better tell us how they got over their shyness!
    I assume people won't give me a chance or like me so i avoid people, which doesn't help the shy thing lol. I'm quite attractive and fairly normal person, like i don't smell or talk about weird stuff all the time lol!
    I have some friends but we aren't close and i see other people who i feel i would have stuff in common with, but i'm too shy to talk to them :/ I recently got a shop job and so i hope with time i'll become more socially confident.

Happy posting!!
    xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Since being only one of two people joining my sixth form in year 12 I have become a lot better in social situations. I approach them very logically. I identify what I am scared of. I then decide if I was to do it would the end result (not what it feels like during) be good. If it was I forced myself to do it. It sounds so easy but it is really hard. You just have to do it! Once you do it a few times you will realise it works. People are generally nice if you can be confident. Make sure you pretend to be confident even if you aren't.
    This is really hard but you have to try for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    erm. hi.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Cubcub99)
    I'm new to tsr but i thought i'd ask people about their stories about shyness.
    people can vent on here or even better tell us how they got over their shyness!

Personally i feel like i have Avoidant Personality Disorder, i assume people won't give me a chance or like me so i avoid people, which doesn't help the shy thing lol. I'm quite attractive and fairly normal person, like i don't smell or talk about weird stuff all the time lol!
    I have some friends but we aren't close and i see other people who i feel i would have stuff in common with, but i'm too shy to talk to them :/ I recently got a job selling lingerie (ooo lala) and so i hope with time i'll become more socially confident.

Happy posting!!
    xoxo
    Hiya,

First of all, please don't self diagnosis yourself with a personality disorder. I have a few of them, and honestly, they're not nice to have. If your anxiety over social situations is really affecting your life, talk to your GP and see what help is available to you.

Secondly, I am not necessarily shy myself. I just don't particularly like people. Hence why I find social situations boring, which leads me onto feeling a bit of anxiety as I don't know how to act in them.

I am extremely shy, it has definitely faded over the years and I now find it much easier to speak in small groups. I have very few friends though however making friends has definitely gotten easier. I tend to overanalyse things a lot rather than go with the flow. I want to be a teacher so I'll have to get over it, I'm starting work in a tuition centre soon tutoring 6 students at a time (it's 3 *hrs a week) so I hope that will help my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    I have social anxiety and think I may have some depersonalization, sometimes I feel like I am separate from everyone and everything around me, like a ghost.
    I can have full conversations with myself and get irritated easily around other people... My family has a history of schizophrenia and addiction....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcneill98)
    I have social anxiety and think I may have some depersonalization, sometimes I feel like I am separate from everyone and everything around me, like a ghost.
    I can have full conversations with myself and get irritated easily around other people... My family has a history of schizophrenia and addiction....
    I've never experienced depersonalisation but it sounds scary af. Do other people notice you're not "there" atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    I've never experienced depersonalisation but it sounds scary af. Do other people notice you're not "there" atm?
    Not much but about 2 years ago it was worse, in school I could never concentrate and didn't much care to do anything especially talk to people. Although I did talk to my friends I just felt completely aloof.
    It could just be my anxiety and introverted nature though, which have left me a bit secluded in my own kind of bubble. Sometimes I feel autistic too, like I have no idea why people act the way they do and no clue as to how to interact with other people....

ReputationRep:
    I used to be pretty shy and I'm still a little on the quiet side, but I can lead a team or stand up and talk in front of a large audience quite happily these days. There are lots of things that contributed to getting there, but probably the thing that kick started it for me was being pretty good at something. For me it was sailing, so when I was in a group of other sailors I could talk confidently about sailing. That then led on to talking about other things and after a while talking wasn't so hard anymore! If there's something you're good at that might be a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see people open up about things their parents would not approve of, isn't that the root cause of most anxieties?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.