Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to say 'County' in French? As in County Derry or County Monaghan (you'd definitely know what I mean if you're from Ireland)
    Or if I'd be able to say 'I've moved house (X) times, however I've always lived in this county'
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by LittleIrishGeek)
    Does anyone know how to say 'County' in French? As in County Derry or County Monaghan (you'd definitely know what I mean if you're from Ireland)
    Thanks
    Language tip. Unless there is a specific, transliteration/translation in another language (i.e. In French they say Londres instead of London because it is easier for the French to say as {on-dohn} is bizarre phonetically in French), there is no change and it remains the same.

i.e.

J'habite à County Derry.

Also, whilst FrenchUnicorn may be French and a powerful mythical creature, she isn't a translation service so it would be best not to tag her like that.

For reference though, 'county' in French is:

département or comté. Depends on context and type of area I think…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Language tip. Unless there is a specific, transliteration/translation in another language (i.e. In French they say Londres instead of London because it is easier for the French to say as {on-dohn} is bizarre phonetically in French), there is no change and it remains the same.

i.e.

J'habite à County Derry.

Also, whilst FrenchUnicorn may be French and a powerful mythical creature, she isn't a translation service so it would be best not to tag her like that.

Okay, thanks😊😏

(Original post by iEthan)

i.e.

J'habite à County Derry.

Ty <3 and perfect :woo:

(Original post by LittleIrishGeek)
    'I've moved house (X) times, however I've always lived in this county'Thanks
    ' j'ai déménagé X fois, cependant j'ai toujours habité dans ce pays '

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.