Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a college induction tomorrow, but I've severely broken my braces on my teeth! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So hello! I have an induction tomorrow at my college(I am a fresher) - and I was wondering if I had to be there majorly? I am a looked after child so I get bursary money, was curious if it's affect my chances of getting that money if I do not attend? Will it affect my attendance? My brace is broken and needs fixing immediately and I'm stressing out! Please help!!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliviarae16)
    So hello! I have an induction tomorrow at my college(I am a fresher) - and I was wondering if I had to be there majorly? I am a looked after child so I get bursary money, was curious if it's affect my chances of getting that money if I do not attend? Will it affect my attendance? My brace is broken and needs fixing immediately and I'm stressing out! Please help!!
    Yes. Turn up (at 0900 presumably?), find out what the schedule for the day is, ring your dentist and fit the appointment around the mandatory parts of the day. Speak to the staff there and discuss what you need to attend and how you can fit in the dentists. CHances you can get a dentist's appointment on the day you phone, unless in excruciating pain, are slim to nil anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Yes. Turn up (at 0900 presumably?), find out what the schedule for the day is, ring your dentist and fit the appointment around the mandatory parts of the day. Speak to the staff there and discuss what you need to attend and how you can fit in the dentists. CHances you can get a dentist's appointment on the day you phone, unless in excruciating pain, are slim to nil anyway.
    It's very painful, but surely the college could understand? I don't want It to affect attendance as its only a induction?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's very painful, but surely the college could understand? I don't want It to affect attendance as its only a induction?
    They won't understand why you have to miss a whole day for half an hour at the Dentist. Do you not understand that induction requires about 40 staff to stop their normal daily work and set up the registration processes for hordes of students to fill in forms, collect information, answer questions, give presentations etc etc. A massive amount of work goes on to set up the induction process and they won't do it again for people who miss it. You'll have to set it all up yourself in the days that follow, by getting yourself to the library, card office, IT office, careers centre, welfare office etc etc and wait until someone is available to do a single induction for you. It's not about attendance, it's about realising the effort that goes into induction and the efficiency of getting all that admin done at one time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    They won't understand why you have to miss a whole day for half an hour at the Dentist. Do you not understand that induction requires about 40 staff to stop their normal daily work and set up the registration processes for hordes of students to fill in forms, collect information, answer questions, give presentations etc etc. A massive amount of work goes on to set up the induction process and they won't do it again for people who miss it. You'll have to set it all up yourself in the days that follow, by getting yourself to the library, card office, IT office, careers centre, welfare office etc etc and wait until someone is available to do a single induction for you. It's not about attendance, it's about realising the effort that goes into induction and the efficiency of getting all that admin done at one time.

Your saying I don't understand yet I don't think you understand how long it takes for a brace to be fixed? As well as the pain, I cannot walk round the school for the whole day with wires poking out. I don't mind doing that, it's not a problem, that's all I wanted to know, thanks 🖕🏼
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Call the college as soon as they open and explain the situation to them and say that you will come in as soon as your brace is fixed (give them a rough time estimate) and say you will come in via the office with a note from the dentist who fixed the brace.

Dont try and attempt to go to induction with a messed up brace, you will just cause yourself injury and risk causing more damage to the brace, they will understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.