Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this was my friend borrowing my account. She's sorted it out now, thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JustHoping)
    Hi,
    Ive just received my table of charges for 2016/2017 and it's scared me a bit. I compared my government maintenance loan plus the oxford bursary to what the basic food and accommodation charges are at my college (not including balls, books and societies) and I am already £100 over the support I'm given. I can't find any other bursaries I am applicable for at my college and I'm worried that I won't be able to afford to have much fun. Is there any chance that colleges have bursaries not stated on their website? I know about hardship funds but the fact the I'm literally starting University in the negatives despite the massive debt I'm already in is scary.
    To be honest I'm slightly surprised by this, I get the minimum maintenance loan and I don't think I had to pay much more than £1000 extra over the course of the year for everything so if you qualify for an Oxford Bursary then I'd have thought that it'd be enough if you spend your money sensibly...

ReputationRep:
    reality is that most students struggle and have debt. Can you get a part time job, loan from parents/ bank to see you through?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's surprising. Are you sure you are correct? You haven't calculated costs over 52 weeks have you?

Tell us your figures for income and costs.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi,
    Ive just received my table of charges for 2016/2017 and it's scared me a bit. I compared my government maintenance loan plus the oxford bursary to what the basic food and accommodation charges are at my college (not including balls, books and societies) and I am already £100 over the support I'm given. I can't find any other bursaries I am applicable for at my college and I'm worried that I won't be able to afford to have much fun. Is there any chance that colleges have bursaries not stated on their website? I know about hardship funds but the fact the I'm literally starting University in the negatives despite the massive debt I'm already in is scary.
    Gave you checked the exact fees for your room rather than a college average? If you've been allocated an expensive room you may be able to request a downgrade.

Also, I assume the food costs are for eating in hall? Are you planning to eat there three meals a day? Cooking for yourself will be a LOT cheaper

Don't worry too much about costs like books, you should be able to get them free from the library, I've never bought any, and most societies have very affordable membership fees Socials can add up, but you can attend many balls for free/ cheap if you work half the night (and earn pretty decent money if you work the whole night).

ReputationRep:
    In general, university accommodation and catering at Oxford is no more expensive than many other unis.

In ye olde days, I had a grant that covered tuition and living costs in full. That we are now expecting 18 year olds who do not have wealthy parents automatically to go into debt in order to get a university education is tragic.

In any case, you mention that you are "already" in "massive debt". If so, I'd strongly suggest that you get some proper financial advice to help sort out your finances toute suite. I imagine the your college bursar's office is the place to start, but maybe the Citizens' Advice Bureau would also be helpful?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

Something may be wrong somewhere with your projected expenses as the loan and bursary should be sufficient,

We suggest you get in touch with your college and ask to speak to the college accountant or whoever has oversight of student billing and hardship. He or she will go over your budget and work out what the position is and what your options are.

ReputationRep:
    My accommodation came to slightly more than my maintenance loan (no bursary) at a college with fixed accommodation costs, so I'd not be too surprised if a small bursary wasn't enough to cover a fixed food bill on top of that.

As BrasenoseAdm says, get in touch with your college. They might have further assistance that hasn't been advertised more widely yet.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.