The Student Room Group

Sharing accommodation with a resident assistant.

I couldn't find another topic to post this in, so I'll settle with here as this will be an everyday occurrence...
I just found out on Facebook that I'm sharing with 1 other fresher who is a guy and a graduate women who will be the assistant to our entire block. Each block has an assistant from past years. ( Sharing with 2 other freshers too. )

When I read the rules of the uni they were absolutely crazy. Little things such as waking up another resident or having people over to the flat without authorisation are a 'breach' and according to the official rules, punished harshly. This girl seems chill from her FB page but I'm just wondering will she be a 'spoilsport' ?
Independence is massively important to me, I will be considerate to my housemates of course but I also want the power to do as I wish in my flat. Otherwise it will be just like living with my parents :P

Anyone with experience of living with an RA ? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by mcneill98
I couldn't find another topic to post this in, so I'll settle with here as this will be an everyday occurrence...
I just found out on Facebook that I'm sharing with 1 other fresher who is a guy and a graduate women who will be the assistant to our entire block. Each block has an assistant from past years. ( Sharing with 2 other freshers too. )

When I read the rules of the uni they were absolutely crazy. Little things such as waking up another resident or having people over to the flat without authorisation are a 'breach' and according to the official rules, punished harshly. This girl seems chill from her FB page but I'm just wondering will she be a 'spoilsport' ?
Independence is massively important to me, I will be considerate to my housemates of course but I also want the power to do as I wish in my flat. Otherwise it will be just like living with my parents :P

Anyone with experience of living with an RA ? Thanks in advance :smile:

What university are you going too? This seems a little OTT in my opinion. All universities will have noise policies and really try to re-iterate them, which is fair enough.. some people need quiet areas to work in and people may have jobs at night so blaring music at 4am wouldn't be appreciated. However as freshers, there's not much they can do about it, as long as its not every night, and your respectful to others and not being violent or anything then like you said you should be able to enjoy your independence!!! The whole authorisation of people staying over is another general consensus thing at most universities, in policy, however nobody adheres to these and if your flat mates dont mind im sure you could have friends over for a few days no problem, just ask people beforehand out of courtesy.
Original post by JTFrith
What university are you going too? This seems a little OTT in my opinion. All universities will have noise policies and really try to re-iterate them, which is fair enough.. some people need quiet areas to work in and people may have jobs at night so blaring music at 4am wouldn't be appreciated. However as freshers, there's not much they can do about it, as long as its not every night, and your respectful to others and not being violent or anything then like you said you should be able to enjoy your independence!!! The whole authorisation of people staying over is another general consensus thing at most universities, in policy, however nobody adheres to these and if your flat mates dont mind im sure you could have friends over for a few days no problem, just ask people beforehand out of courtesy.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
I'm going to Maynooth university in Ireland. The noise policy says anything that can be heard by others after 10pm is a 'noice disturbance' and I'll get a written complaint x) I also think this won't be enforced much. There are some even crazier rules like they say that you shouldn't have a person of the other sex over to a flat of only one gender.
I'm just worried about if I'm having drinks with mates or have a girl over late at night and someone complains.
The girl likes Jack Daniels I'll have to try and bribe her with a bottle ;P
I worked as a student warden which I guess is the same thing. As far as I was concerned as long as there was no complaints I wouldn't do anything about rule breaking, I mean I had to live there too! and I'd been a fresher! Living with me would have been no different to living with anyone else. If there were complaints I would mediate as required, sometimes a quick chat to both parties solved the problem and sometimes it didn't. I had no power to actually do anything but report problems higher up the chain really, so while I would go into a flat and ask them to turn the speakers down/stop smoking if they were breaking rules and causing a nuisance, if they refused I couldn't do anything except document it.
From my experience of living with a residential assistant I would say you would be fine. However. I have been on your unis accommodation website and looked at the behaviour code, and it does seem quite extreme.
For example you are not allowed to put bottles where they are viewable through the window!!
I also read that to have more than 10 people around your flat then you have to apply to hold an event of no more than 20 people who have to follow numerous strict rules! Finally as a flat you can only hold 2 events a year! I'm confused? 20 people would be a pretty awful party :frown:

Hopefully like moat unis they mostly ignore the rules, but I would play it safe for the first few weeks

Quick Reply

Latest