Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What exactly is propaganda? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And how do you prove something is propaganda? Don't all cultures spew propaganda to some degree? Don't people just dismiss something they don't like hearing as propaganda? How do you know what you being told is right and you not the one being fed propaganda?

ReputationRep:
    " Propaganda is information, especially of a biased nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view. "

The above is the official Wikipedia definition of Propaganda. Obviously I do not claim this information to be factually licensed however it goes without saying it's a very reliable source.

What you can also do to help your understanding is by trying to use the word in actual sentences as you are speaking. The best way to learn something is to try yourself, and to also eavesdrop other conversations to hear when they use the word themselves.

I hope that helps, and if you need any more advice/guidance please let me know.

Goose

ReputationRep:
    That Wikipedia definition tells only half the story, as propadanda can also be used to attack a cause. Here is the definition from a reputable dictionary:

Collins English Dictionary
    noun
    1. the organized dissemination of information, allegations, etc, to assist or damage the cause of a government, movement, etc

2. such information, allegations, etc
    Note, also, the use of "organized".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That Wikipedia definition tells only half the story, as propadanda can also be used to attack a cause. Here is the definition from a reputable dictionary:
    Thanks Good bloke. That highlights right there why you cannot always trust information that hasn't been factually licensed. It's good to make people aware of the pros and cons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniGoose)
    That highlights right there
    Yes, with emphasis on the word "highlights".

ReputationRep:
    making sure people have a good look, as cockneys say "a proper gander"

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with emphasis on the word "highlights".
    (Original post by NJA)
    making sure people have a good look, as cockneys say "a proper gander"
    I couldn't agree more. I think it's important to go through life looking through the eye of a needle. Little details make up a big detail which then gives yourself a larger perspective on everything.

ReputationRep:
    " Propaganda is information, especially of a biased nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view. "

The above is the official Wikipedia definition of Propaganda. Obviously I do not claim this information to be factually licensed however it goes without saying it's a very reliable source.

What you can also do to help your understanding is by trying to use the word in actual sentences as you are speaking. The best way to learn something is to try yourself, and to also eavesdrop other conversations to hear when they use the word themselves.

I hope that helps, and if you need any more advice/guidance please let me know.

Goose
    wiki is not reliable nor credible

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing couldn't you argue that most forms of media is propaganda? A youtuber made a music video about North Korea( where he was teaching the North Koreans to surf) and a lot of the commentators were quick to say it was propaganda. His aim was to show the Western world of a different side to North Korea. Is that propaganda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    wiki is not reliable nor credible
    This is a debatable subject which I do not feel we should talk about on this thread to destabilise calling03's original query.

If you create another thread I'd be happy to discuss this with you on there.

Goose

ReputationRep:
    "All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension to the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach."- Kanye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unigoose)
    this is a debatable subject which i do not feel we should talk about on this thread to destabilise calling03's original query.

If you create another thread i'd be happy to discuss this with you on there.

Goose
    when you emphasise everyhing, your emphasising no longer has any meaning.

thanks

ss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    when you emphasise everyhing, your emphasising no longer has any meaning.

thanks

ss
    Supersaps I appreciate what you are trying to say however it's a common human misconception that everything actually needs a meaning. Are we not permitted to bold when we please? I didn't know that there is a rule for that.

Now I would suggest that you stick to the topic instead of trying to derail the thread.

Thanks,

Goose

(Original post by calling03)
    And how do you prove something is propaganda? Don't all cultures spew propaganda to some degree? Don't people just dismiss something they don't like hearing as propaganda? How do you know what you being told is right and you not the one being fed propaganda?

ReputationRep:
    Supersaps I appreciate what you are trying to say however it's a common human misconception that everything actually needs a meaning. Are we not permitted to bold when we please? I didn't know that there is a rule for that.
    You may bold whenever you please. However the flipside is, I may criticise where I please.

I find your constant use of italics, boldness and underlining to be both difficult to read and annoying.

Kindly,

SS

ReputationRep:

Now I would suggest that you stick to the topic instead of trying to derail the thread.

Thanks,

Goose
    Siupersaps is correct. Your posts are very irritating and tiresome to read. I assume you were giving a witty take on propaganda in your first posts, but I now realise you always over-emphasise in your posts.

The effect is that your meaning is lost in the noise of the typography, people are irritated, and your message is devalued.

Still, if that is what you want then it is your right to do it. Don't expect a future employer to like it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    You may bold whenever you please. However the flipside is, I may criticise where I please.

I find your constant use of italics, boldness and underlining to be both difficult to read and annoying.

Kindly,

SS
    Siupersaps is correct. Your posts are very irritating and tiresome to read. I assume you were giving a witty take on propaganda in your first posts, but I now realise you always over-emphasise in your posts.

The effect is that your meaning is lost in the noise of the typography, people are irritated, and your message is devalued.

Still, if that is what you want then it is your right to do it. Don't expect a future employer to like it though.
    It's important to note that although you are entitled to criticise, this is not on topic and in future should be directly messaged to myself without interfering with somebody else's thread.

As the great man once said - "if you don't like the look of the shoe, don't put it on your feet".

Goose

ReputationRep:
    As the great man once said - "if you don't like the look of the shoe, don't put it on your feet".

Goose
    As the great bard had Cleopatra say:

Be choked with such another emphasis!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.