Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a British born "Asian" and proud to call myself British but I am also proud of ethnic roots and family heritage. However being born and raised in this country, I have always felt more British than Asian.

Completely off the topic I know but the user above seems to have completely steered this thread off the rails.

ReputationRep:
    Back on topic and less ranting, please.

ReputationRep:
    Well, to find out if he's racist... tell him you've got another girlfriend called Whitney from L.A... see how he reacts.
    ...... no one likes stupid ad phone calls (we dont get them)...
    I think its more ignorance than racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psycho)
    Still.. it's a disrespect to the rest of Asian people..
    You can imagine if an Australian is working in a calling center in the Asia region, can't speak in an Asian accent.. and happened to get scorned as "bloody white" .. what would you think as a white? Obviously, not all white get involved..

p/sardon my example by using an Australian.. no offense..

i think there is a certain amount of double standards on the whole racism subject.

what is this whole thing about being offended on behalf of other people.

i think calling or insinuating someone is a ignorant racist is quite pretentous over an unimportant incident involving . telesales.
    are you fighting on the front lines in the battle against racism? (no)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole)
    The message is what matters, not the messenger.

But through that identifier he is implying that all asians speak like that. Hint: they don't. Try talking to an ethnic minority born and bred here if you have a hard time believing.

The OP father's gripe was their foreign accents; in which case, it would have been "didn't understand a word of that", "should really get some English lessons" [offensive, but not racially based]. See the difference? Please, for the sake of humankind?
    No he doesn't imply that all asians speak like that at all! You're just assuming. Maybe if he said the word all, but to may recollection of the posts - he didn't. Look, were the people calling him asian? Yes. Where they annoying him? Yes. Does he have the right to refer to them as "bloody asians"? Yes. By this statement is he, in any way, stating that english people are superior to asian people? No.

If you have been pestered by someone, or by several phone calls, would you be calm? Would you say: "Oh my gosh! Those phone calls surely are annoying! Thats the 50th call this week. I'll be damned if I can understand a word they're saying!"? I highly doubt it, especially not when you're in your own home.

ReputationRep:
    No he doesn't imply that all asians speak like that at all! You're just assuming. Maybe if he said the word all, but to may recollection of the posts - he didn't. Look, were the people calling him asian? Yes. Where they annoying him? Yes. Does he have the right to refer to them as "bloody asians"? Yes. By this statement is he, in any way, stating that english people are superior to asian people? No.
    Using that arguement, if a black guy called and annoyed him, it'd be okay to say " bloody blacks ". Using the exact arguement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    Using that arguement, if a black guy called and annoyed him, it'd be okay to say " bloody blacks ". Using the exact arguement.
    Well no actually that would be equivalent to saying 'bloody browns'. It just doesn't sound right. If all the call centres bombarding people with calls were in Africa, then yes I'll bet some people would say 'bloody africans'. Same for the person going on about swedes earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Well no actually that would be equivalent to saying 'bloody browns'. It just doesn't sound right. If all the call centres bombarding people with calls were in Africa, then yes I'll bet some people would say 'bloody africans'. Same for the person going on about swedes earlier.
    they also insinuated that the a white person would consider a swede as a brother simply because they are mainly a white race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by negated enigma)
    they also insinuated that the a white person would consider a swede as a brother simply because they are mainly a white race.
    Yea I don't understand that bit at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    My dad says things like that . . . well, he calls people "thieving arabs" etc. And enjoys ranting about Indian call centres.

He isn't a racist. He doesn't think that he is any better than a coloured person, nor does he think being coloured makes your flawed. He is just fairly colourful with his language, and doesn't shy away from describing someone as they are or using stereotypes in informal conversation.

Coloured?! Christ almighty.

Your dad sounds borderline by the way.

ReputationRep:
    My vote is no, not racist.

But this thread makes me sad because I have family who work in call-centres in India. I hope people aren't rude to them because of their accents.

Also, I find the range of accents at Caffe Nero far more difficult to understand, even though all they ever ask is whether I'd like some cream...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Yea I don't understand that bit at all.
    i can't find the post:mad: which would make things easier.

he was just implying that the subject in question (a white male presumably)
    upon hearing a scandanavian accent instead of an asian one would not react no negetively. like we are a united race.

which i find offensive to my own personal beliefs not that of a whole race.

its just seems like there depicting an "us and them " scenario(to me any way).

and i don't like that atall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_Rogers)
    Coloured?! Christ almighty.

Your dad sounds borderline by the way.
    Excuse me?

Surely being racist or not is determined by your feelings on the subject, not that you say amongst friends . . .

By your reasoning, if someone LOVED all people, and spent their life advocating equal rights, but then made an offhand comment about an ethnic person with specific regard to their ethnicity, they would automatically be classified as a racist? Being racist is all about feeling yourself superior to someone simply because of their race, and judging them negatively simply because of their race. My father is not borderline, because he does not do this. He gives everyone a fair chance to prove themselves, and never makes a judgment simply because of someones skin colour or race. Given that one of his good friends (and employees) is an Egyptian Muslim, they would have a hard time getting on if my dad was a racist.

And what is wrong with saying "coloured"? Not PC enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Excuse me?

Surely being racist or not is determined by your feelings on the subject, not that you say amongst friends . . .

By your reasoning, if someone LOVED all people, and spent their life advocating equal rights, but then made an offhand comment about an ethnic person with specific regard to their ethnicity, they would automaticaly be classified as a racist?

And what is wrong with saying "coloured"? Not PC enough for you?

thats what it sounds like when someone knows what5 there talking about. props .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music_Enthusiast)
    He sounds like he could be the next Hitler. If he asks you to start raising your right arm when you see him DON'T DO IT.
    Yeah, and you may wish to check the shower before using it.

Oh, and everyone hates Indian call centres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    Except no. Because:

1. Its more than one asain person calling him.
    2. Asia is a continent. Black is not.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.