Turn on thread page Beta

'Fat People' labeled at the gym watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellietheelephant)
    i was wondering obviously overweight people have higher chances of having lots of medical problems such as blocked arteries and the like. well what about slim people who eat rubbish? will their arteries get clogged too or do they get to be skinny on the outside and healtier on the inside too?
    Being thin doesn't mean you can't have high cholesterol, a risk factor for atheroscelorisis/coronary artery disease; only 20% of cholesterol comes from the food you eat. People can't 'eat anything they want' without increasing the risk of compromise to their health - so yes, thin people can still get clogged arteries. What greatly increases the risk of high cholesterol, however, is being overweight - and the associated problems with having layers of fat hanging off a body.

On a related note, I don't buy most of this 'low metabolism' *******s, an increase in activity, healthy eating and the times you choose to eat can all influence the rate of metabolism and it's all too easy to use it as an excuse.

I just hope we never get to the stage America's in with loads of fatties clogging up beaches and the London transport system. It's bad enough getting on the tube at the best of times. I'm usually in favour of limited government, but maybe it's time to start taxing fatty foods to the hilt and encourage a cheaper market in fruit, veg and other healthy foods. The organic and ethical brigade have succeeded in pushing up prices as lots of shops choose to go predominantly organic, putting poorer people off eating properly.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with the price of fruit and veg. Supermarkets are way too expensive and on a student budget I simply can't afford to buy too much unless I go to the market on my lunch break.

ReputationRep:
    i think sometimes though its cheaper to make home cooked food than buy ready made food from supermarkets. sometimes they cost over £3 and have nothing in them plus a load of added salt and rubbish. if ur in uni can can not agree with ur flatmates to cook meals together to split the cost and so vegetables and stuff wont go off before theyr used

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Bexiness, talking a lots of sense there. Before I started my diet I had no idea how much hidden calories and fat ther eis in many of the things I used to eat. Well done on the steady weight loss btw, thats what I aspire to be doing.

Back to the topic. Most of the people in my gyms are just average sized and no-one could really give 2 craps whether an overweight person is there or not. People are there to work on their own bodies not to stare and judge everyone else the majority of the time. Anyone who does is just sad imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellietheelephant)
    i think sometimes though its cheaper to make home cooked food than buy ready made food from supermarkets. sometimes they cost over £3 and have nothing in them plus a load of added salt and rubbish. if ur in uni can can not agree with ur flatmates to cook meals together to split the cost and so vegetables and stuff wont go off before theyr used
    No, because I don't eat meat and I just eat at work now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2007
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.