Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello all,

So I am currently going into year 13, studying History, Psychology nd English literature. I have wanted to do medicine for the longest time now but thought it was not possible because of the subjects I study, however I found out that I could still do it if I did a preclinical/foundation year of med at uni.

the problem is yesterday I had my UKCAT, and entirely flopped it. my average comes to 480. Its horrible I know.

here are my stats;
    GCSEs: 5 As, 3 Bs, 3 Cs
    A levels: currently A in history, B in english lit, C in psychology
    UKCAT: 480 avg.
    some voluntary work here and there but nothing exponential.

is there any Unis that do a foundation year that would accept me with such low ukcat scores?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You will struggle tbh but it may not be impossible. This really is the sort of thing you should be able to research yourself. TSR has a lot of resources for applying to med school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    You will struggle tbh but it may not be impossible. This really is the sort of thing you should be able to research yourself. TSR has a lot of resources for applying to med school.
    thanks for the reply, I've been looking around online and emailed some unis but haven't got any replies (probs busy with uni applications). I'm a bit lost as to what I should do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Err wait for replies. There's not much to do at the moment. You've picked your subjects and can't exactly undo that now. Grad entry medicine is also an option if you can't get into med school at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at foundation degrees, they're usually for A level students who had picked the wrong/non-sciency subjects. It's very competitive though, like any regular medicine course. I'm not sure about the UKCAT; you're gonna have to do your own research.

ReputationRep:
    no do something like nursing becaus that is not high enough

ReputationRep:
    It's still possible but will be very difficult. Be prepared to take a gap year

(Original post by Evess)
    no do something like nursing becaus that is not high enough
    Ignore this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs House)

Ignore this.
    thank you

why do you suggest a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leilachent)
    thank you

why do you suggest a gap year?
    Because even strong applicants have to take a gap year if they didn't get in first time.

ReputationRep:
    Because even strong applicants have to take a gap year if they didn't get in first time.
    i see, thank ya

ReputationRep:

Ignore this.
    no, medicine is very competitive and that is not good enough to keep up with competition and you know it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evess)
    no, medicine is very competitive and that is not good enough to keep up with competition and you know it
    Competitive does not mean 'impossible' the last time I checked, or does it now?

Let the person decide what they wanna do with their life and if they want to pursue medicine, let them. The work they put in whilst chasing after their goal will determine if they can make it, not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)

Let the person decide what they wanna do with their life and if they want to pursue medicine, let them. The work they put in whilst chasing after their goal will determine if they can make it, not you.
    lol....

ReputationRep:
    The ukcat score is low, a gap year is probably needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evess)
    She can apply for the foundation medicine courses and get a better UKCAT average next time.

It's still possible and I know it.

ReputationRep:
    She can apply for the foundation medicine courses and get a better UKCAT average next time.

It's still possible and I know it.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    There are always more options. If you're that keen and you don't get into foundation medicine or fancy the graduate routs you can always get some practical experience for a few years and do an access to medicine course. I've just completed one and start medicine in a couple of weeks. It's not ideal from your perspective as someone still very young, but it's definitely an option down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan1980)
    There are always more options. If you're that keen and you don't get into foundation medicine or fancy the graduate routs you can always get some practical experience for a few years and do an access to medicine course. I've just completed one and start medicine in a couple of weeks. It's not ideal from your perspective as someone still very young, but it's definitely an option down the line.
    Thank you so much for your response! Can I ask, what did you do in terms of practical experience? It's nice to see that there are definitely a lot more alternative routes to get into medicine than the conventional way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leilachent)
    Thank you so much for your response! Can I ask, what did you do in terms of practical experience? It's nice to see that there are definitely a lot more alternative routes to get into medicine than the conventional way.
    I was a firefighter for 15 years. I will clarify that I didn't always want to be a doctor. I didn't join the fire service to get experience to apply for medicine later in life. However the development of access courses recently has allowed people with similar backgrounds to me to get in, and allows longer term planning for those still keen to apply later in life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.