Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal for a girl to be this hairy? Watch

I'm in my 20s and ever since I was around 18/19 I've just had so much body hair. I don't mean on my arms etc, that hair is blonde. But I have a lot of thick, coarse hairs growing in places I can't imagine is normal for a girl. I was on the pill for a few years and it wasn't as bad, but now I'm off a day doesn't go by where I don't notice a hair.*

*I have several that come up on my chin, they are spiky and some are dark. I have a few down my neck. About 5 or 6 on my chest, then a good few around my boob area. I've got loads of hair from my belly button downwards.*

I don't fit any of the other symptoms for PCOS (healthy weight, clear skin, very regular periods). I don't know whether maybe it's actually normal for some girls to be hairier? I shave it/pluck it all off so no one would know this.

My dad and brother are VERY hairy so maybe I just inherited those genes? It's a bit annoying though, as I can't even wear a nice top without shaving my chest *

ReputationRep:
    be thankful you're blonde otherwise you'd be a lot more uncomfortable with this hairiness I think ....it might be hormonal, it might be genetic...Im not even sure this is an issue but if it is for you maybe you should go see a doctor about it or get some laser hair removal treatment.* *

Some feminists celebrate their hairiness by dying their pits...bodily hair is a hot topic for some women this day and age and I'm not sure what to make of it really.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in my 20s and ever since I was around 18/19 I've just had so much body hair. I don't mean on my arms etc, that hair is blonde. But I have a lot of thick, coarse hairs growing in places I can't imagine is normal for a girl. I was on the pill for a few years and it wasn't as bad, but now I'm off a day doesn't go by where I don't notice a hair.*

*I have several that come up on my chin, they are spiky and some are dark. I have a few down my neck. About 5 or 6 on my chest, then a good few around my boob area. I've got loads of hair from my belly button downwards.*

I don't fit any of the other symptoms for PCOS (healthy weight, clear skin, very regular periods). I don't know whether maybe it's actually normal for some girls to be hairier? I shave it/pluck it all off so no one would know this.

My dad and brother are VERY hairy so maybe I just inherited those genes? It's a bit annoying though, as I can't even wear a nice top without shaving my chest *
    I'd suggest you see a doctor. It may be a sign of a bigger thing or it may just be genetics but either way they can give you advice. I think it's possible to get lazer treatments to remove hair btw, so if it's just a few really persistant and annoying ones that come from the same place that may be worth looking into. Hair removal cream is also supposedly good for longer lasting results than shavinig I think but to be honest it seems kinda nasty to me- putting smelly chemicals all over yourself. I guess if it works it's worth it for some people though. I think you can also get hormone treaments for unusual hair growith. If taking the pill before helped it may suggest your issues are hormonal and that sort of treatment would help you. It's deffinately worth mentioning that bit to your doctor.

Everybody has something they don't like about themselves even if it isn't the same thing so try not to feel to unusual or self concious.

Well I'm not blonde haha so feel lucky! I have very dark hair. I am half mediterranean so it makes sense for me. I've always had hairy arms and remove the hair nowadays so it's less of a problem but when i was a kid I'd get bullied for it.

I'm in a similar position in that I have two on my chin, no clue on earth why?!! I always pluck them out whenever they reappear but i always found it strange they were there. Fortunately i don't have a tache! Also get them a lot on my boobs, I pluck those ones all out. Also have hairy tummy and back but generally remove those tummy ones. I think I have a lot more body hair than most people in general.

Anyway you're not alone on this. But I hadn't even considered it was a medical thing and I didn't even know about PCOS. So thanks for that. It makes sense actually because i have had a massive problem with acne since early teens and still have one. I'm 22 and have SUCH oily skin!

If you are worried about this you should see a doctor, I am thinking about doing it now.

In terms of feeling uncomfortable, laser treatment could be a great option. I do know of girls (Very attractive ones too) who have problems with body hair and also with scalp hair loss but they're boyfriends are totally understanding about it, so it's not like that much of a massive life issue in terms of it doesn't really bother that many people as much as we think. So I try not to get so hung up on it! Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend gets hairs on her chin and stuff, it's not big deal. If you don't want them them you just have to keep on top of removing them.

ReputationRep:
    Are you South Asian?

Depending on exactly how hiw many you get, i'd say this is somewhat normal. I get a few dark hairs on my chin and neck, thick ones, that I pluck out. I get a few round my nipples and between my boobs. Then there's the snail trail. I wouldn't worry too much.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's a genetic thing - having a hairy means you'll be hairy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Girls have hair all over there bodies, its just not spoken about which I think is a shame as we then worry that theres something wrong with us! Its totally normal to have hair around your nipples, boobs, tummy, back, butt and knuckles. However, if it is coarse and wirey like a mans beard, then it could be a hormonal imbalance which is worth going to the GP for. Im curious how you are able to pluck your nipple hairs (ouch!), I tend to just shave mine..

ReputationRep:
    Some people know it's normal and some don't. Fine hair on most parts of your body is 100% normal. Just the other day actually I saw a tweet from a girl who talked about lasering her stomach hair. She had so many responses from other girls saying 'oh I wish I could afford it!'. So the point is, as long as it's not thick like your armpit hair is, you're normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'd say get it checked out.
    esp since you said it wasn't as bad before

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.