Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Norway: Facebook bans well-known author and news editor for posting historic photo Watch

In the latest episode of Facebook censorship, the social media site is under fire in Norway after a well-known author and a news editor were banned from the social media behemoth for posting the icon Vietnam War photo of Kim Phuc, best known as the ‘Napalm Girl’.

http://www.thelocal.no/20160908/norw...lm-girl-nudity
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I empathise with Facebook a bit here. Maintaining order on a social media site involving millions of different users is no easy task. I'm sure there are many complaints to be had about their current moderation process, and mistakes will surely be made, but I'd like to see anyone else do any better.

ReputationRep:
    They've just gone nuts lately tho

(Original post by Dez)
    I empathise with Facebook a bit here. Maintaining order on a social media site involving millions of different users is no easy task. I'm sure there are many complaints to be had about their current moderation process, and mistakes will surely be made, but I'd like to see anyone else do any better.
    Its not entirely Facebook's fault, they want to avoid causing offense; I don't doubt that all the decisions they've made have been in their shareholders' best interests. They have to censor things to avoid losing users - censor racist or anti-Islamic views, since the youth are generally anti-racist and pro-diversity; censor nudity since we're all still puritans - but its a little ridiculous.

E.g.

ReputationRep:
    The most shocking bit of information I came across while reading about this is that 44% of American adults rely on Facebook for their news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    It's another development that highlights that social media sites like Facebook are not viable in the long run. The reason is that they will come under more and more contradictory and untenable pressures to be regulated in different ways in different countries, to meet the moral standards of wildly differing groups and to be truly multinational whilst at the same time be buffeted by nationalistic and local prejudices. The net result of all this is that they would require an army of staff to control the site, which their profit model cannot sustain, not to mention battalions of lawyers and legions of PR staff.

ReputationRep:
    Er, they don't allow nudity do they? Especially of children. So what's the problem?

If you allow this image because it's "important" and "historic", why not other images of your naked grandfather or whatever? Is someone going to judge the "importance" of each photo. No. Far more sensible to have a reasonable rule like no nudity and apply it consistently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The most shocking bit of information I came across while reading about this is that 44% of American adults rely on Facebook for their news.
    Even more shocking is that a similar proportion appears to rely on religious tracts for their scientific knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Still better than Fox News.

ReputationRep:
    It does seem bizarre. Is it really 'news' though, that they are after? Or just the equivalent of reading a trash tabloid mag online? I don't think people really get their total news from FB, but you never know I suppose.

Things do seem to be getting really quite sinister though when basically two groups of corporate bosses, those that control Google and Facebook, can pretty much determine between them the global information flow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.