Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I came across this question whilst doing some homework on capacitors and I could not answer it, despite using the hint. Can someone help me please?

Question
    Estimate the capacitance and energy stored in a typical thundercloud.Hint: model the thundercloud and the Earth as a parallel plate capacitor.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried estimating the area of the base of a thundercloud - these are also known as cumulonimbus clouds http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning...s/cumulonimbus

If you live in the UK you'll have seen a lot of these, might be considered an unfair question to ask people from very dry countries I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Have you tried estimating the area of the base of a thundercloud - these are also known as cumulonimbus clouds http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning...s/cumulonimbus

If you live in the UK you'll have seen a lot of these, might be considered an unfair question to ask people from very dry countries I suppose.
    I live in the UK.

Would 100m^2 be unreasonable, if it were to be 25m*4m?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    I live in the UK.

Would 100m^2 be unreasonable, if it were to be 25m*4m?
    These clouds are usually several miles across. You need to think town-sized at least rather than garden-sized.

ReputationRep:
    I was guesstimating the base area was between 1km x 1km and 3km x 3km square i.e. 1 x 10^6 to 9 x 10^6 m2

These are the giant, as seen from orbit by ISS astronaut size cloud type.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.